Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 AM   #31
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Now there are over 100 Oddball Knitters!

(107 to be exact)
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #32
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
Uh Shandeh.. not to disagree w/ an executive assistant.. but whjat about the baby oddball blankets?

I realize you didn't start it.. but.. it is a direct extension of you, lol

We're doing great,a nd it is awesome to see them stack up..

As far as oddballs... we are all a bit odd but knitting weaves us all together..lol

Thanks soo much for all you do!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #33
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Not a disagreement at ALL!

The Baby Oddball Blankets are a joy to participate in as well!

(I just don't have all the names and addresses for that project, so I can't keep a headcount like I do with the others.)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #34
larudden
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by lissalue View Post
Sandy,

How sweet of you to thank us, but the truth is I want to thank you. You have given of your time and stash to start these wonderful blankets because you have a heart that is bigger than most anyone I know. I had been wanting to do some charity knitting, but it is only because of you that I actually did it. So, thanks you Sandy, just for being you!!

Melissa
What she said!
larudden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to larudden For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (07-27-2007)
Old 07-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #35
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Now that our Oddball Blankets are getting longer, it's about time for us to decide who they will be given to:

I have already asked for Amy's blessing, and we have her support. So that's a WONDERFUL thing.

Some options that we need to think about:

One person in the forum said that we could offer the blankets up for auction, and give the money to charity.
I would rather NOT do that, since that was not our intention from the beginning. If we decide to do something like that, we should start a new blanket, with that as our goal.

So, here are the charity options for the blankets we've already started. They are numbered so we can comment on the options by number:

#1: A Children's Home (orphanage)
I like this idea, because the blanket could be used on their bed, and taken with them wherever they go. Or, it could be kept at the facility to be used for whoever stays there.

#2: A Ronald McDonald House
Goes along with #1, but this is a specific one that seems to be well-established, and it is international.

#3: A Battered Women's Shelter
I would prefer for us to give one of our blankets to a facility that houses women. That way, the blanket could stay at that facility.

#4: A Rape Crisis Center
I'm thinking that we might want to save this idea to use for a lapghan, because I think that size blanket would work better for it.

#5: Habitat for Humanity
I'm not sure if this organization could use our blankets, but I think it would be a nice thing for a housewarming gift to those new home owners.

#6: Pediatric Cancer Units
I don't know if they will take our blankets as a donation, but we can check into it.

#7: Pediatric Hospital
Similar to #6, but a more general option

If you all can think of other options, just comment here, and we'll talk about it.

Keep in mind that our knitters are women AND men, so I believe this charity should benefit both sexes. That's why the children's charities appeal to me.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #36
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
I vote #2... I've seen the outpouring of help these houses give.. and this would be a gift of love to those.

I'm not saying the others aren't... Just my choice..

( anywhere love is needed that is where they should go)
Old 07-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

I'd say, research the one that gets the least amount of outside help. There are two Native American Reservations in SD that people knit/crochet/sew for. One gets a whole lot of publicity and is a realtively well off rez. The other, not so much. But the PR department for the first one rakes in the donations.... Of course the second one is the on my family is registered at.

So my vote is to research the charity that gets the least amount of help and donate to them....

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #38
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Good feedback.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #39
zip

I agree with Yarnlady - give our blankets to the neediest charities. I'm predisposed to battered spouse shelters (not necessarily women) because victims arrive there with their children, all of whom generally leave their homes in an emergency situation with nothing but what they're wearing. Having a handmade blanket to wrap around themselves and their babies would be just like a hug from caring strangers.

None of these shelters receive public acknowledgement because of the need to keep their locations confidential. I think it's a way for us to possibly begin a type of pass-it-on movement. Most, if not all, of the shelters struggle to make ends meet and are happy to receive any type of support at all from hand soap and toilet paper to beds and refrigerators. Except for my most recent one, dropping off clothing and books and household items are an ordinary step I take when moving.

Organizations such as the Ronald McDonald House have regular corporate sponsors and our efforts will be more likely to go unnoticed.

Tough call, Sandy. If you decide to go with something local such as battered spouse shelters rather than something national like the RMH, maybe a lottery or something among the knitters could determine the locality? just thinking out loud on that one, sis.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #40
newamy
Working the Gusset

I agree that a battered womens shelter would be a good choice.
My other thought is a Shelter for homeless youth. The one in my town houses teens and pre-teens, some as young as 10, and tries to provide a home like atmosphere to kids who even when they were at home did not have a home like atmosphere. Some of the children had never eaten dinner at a table with family. Ever. A knit blanket would sure make such a place more homey. It could be used on a bed or as a great afghan suggly blanket on a couch- whatever the shelter thought was most needed. Many cities have youth shelters, some better than others, so again research is needed.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote