Old 04-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

gone horribly wrong - help!
Hi there!

I've been knitting away at the Sophi bag from Magknits (http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/sophie.htm) and figured i should have a look at the pattern because i was getting near the handle bit. I was also a bit surprised because, i remembered the pattern had said it should take exactly one skein of yarn, and i hadnt even started the strap yet and was almost running out!

Well i looked at the pattern and realised wher i had gone wrong - for one the pattern says to stop on row 50 and for some reason i was know on row 65 ( ) then i realised that i had miss read the instructions and that instead of decreasing after every marker as i had been (on various rows) i should have decreased before AND after each marker.

I should get to row 50 and have 70 stitches on my needles ready to bind off ready for the strap, instead i'm on row 65 and have over 80 stitches

I was knitting the bag to send to my mum in australia for mothers day (16th may), so realy don't have time to frog back all that way. ido have another skein of wool if i need it though

What should i do!!

Tarri

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Looking at the pattern, there's no real fix except to go back to the first decrease row and do the correct number of decreases. That's because they shape the bag and just adding more yarn isn't going to be quite right, unless you want to send a tote bag. The good thing is, since you'll be doing twice as many decreases as before, there won't be as many stitches to work and it should go faster this time.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

well... since you have more wool, you could continue on the way that you've been working it. It'll be a bit taller than the original, but it should work.

OR you could bind off now. It'll be taller and a bit bigger around, but it should work.

I'd probably just bind off now. I'm sure your mom will love it!

Ps. i've heard the sophie bag is a bit small anyway. it might not hurt to be a little larger.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
it isn't a sweater... it doesn't need to fit anything. if you have more yarn then just bind it off when you are ready, add the strap, and felt it. and your mom gets her own unique version of the sophie bag.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

i decided to compromise.

I frogged back to the 15th row and did a decrease row there (but only 4 decreases not 8) then knit to the 20th row and will be doing the decreases as the pattern says.

ill get there, im determined to finish it on time! My main problem now is not getting the yarn from the frogging too tangled up.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To keep your loose yarn untangled, make a hand wound center pull ball. That'll keep it neat.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote