Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Problems understanding directions for hat (beanie ) pattern
I am making this beanie.

As per the pattern, I Cast On 80 stitches, and worked 6" of 4x4 ribbbing. I am now ready to begin the decrease.

The decrease instructions begin as:

Quote:
Row 1: * K1, K2tog, K1, P2tog, P1 * around.

Row 2 & even numbered rows: Knit the knits, Purl the purls.
Row 1's decrease pattern adds up to 7 stitches, which does not divide evenly into 80 (number of stitches on my needles). Is the pattern in error, or when a pattern reads that way, am I supposed to just know to continue the pattern and ignore the point which was previously the end of a round?
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Jints
Turning the Heel

I think that row has a mistake written in it.

IMO it should read
Row 1: * K1, K2tog, K1, P1, P2tog, P1 * around.

That's what I would do.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: Problems understanding directions for hat (beanie ) patt
Originally Posted by Rennagayle
I am making this beanie.

As per the pattern, I Cast On 80 stitches, and worked 6" of 4x4 ribbbing. I am now ready to begin the decrease.

The decrease instructions begin as:

Quote:
Row 1: * K1, K2tog, K1, P2tog, P1 * around.

Row 2 & even numbered rows: Knit the knits, Purl the purls.
Row 1's decrease pattern adds up to 7 stitches, which does not divide evenly into 80 (number of stitches on my needles). Is the pattern in error, or when a pattern reads that way, am I supposed to just know to continue the pattern and ignore the point which was previously the end of a round?
Row 1 is an odd numbered row and Row 2 is an even numbered row. That is the only thing it is referring to... The reference has nothing to do with stitch counts.
If it will help you, think of Row 1 as the RS (right side) rows and Row 2 and subsequent even-numbered rows as the WS (wrong side).
I hope this helps.

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

DUH! I can't believe I didn't figure that out.

Jints, thank you SO much! I mentally went through the rest of the pattern, based on your correction, and it comes out perfect. I hope some day I get to the point in my knitting that I can figure these things out for myself, but until then, I sure appreciate having people like you to help me along.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Remclave, it wasn't really Row 2 that was throwing me off. I just included it with my quote here, and probably shouldn't have. I do believe that Jint's suggestion of change in Row 1 will work everything out, though.'

I do appreciate your response!