Old 05-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
OT: Sewing Machine help
I JUST got a new Singer Sewing machine, and I'm putting patches (read brownie vest and PATCH material). The first patch FINE...second patch...I have BAD words going through my brain.....

It is doing EXACTLY the same thing that my OLD 1956 model is doing...it is getting all messed up on the underside....WHAT on EARTH am I doing WRONG????????????? There are huge loops and then I have to actually CUT it away from the machine...I thought for SURE I'd not have this problem with a brand spankin new machine.

I've played with the tension and the stitch length...and it STILL does it....

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP before I throw it out the window.

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Limey
Turning the Heel

Machine knitting
Hi

It sounds very much as though you've got the shuttle/spool threaded the wrong way.

Take it out and double check which way the cotton should run, then put your machine on a medium length straight stitch. Check that the needle is inserted correctly.

I've known this happen alot with sewing machines both with the 'boat' shaped shuttle and the round spool type.

Just take your time and check each step that you've theaded up the machine the right way.

Shhh (I'm supposed to be a knitter, not a sewer)

Limey
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
roseybee
1st Leg of the Journey

Your bobbin may be in backwards. You also have to make sure the thread on the spool and in the bobbin are the same type of thread. Some machines also have bobbin tension dials, which may help. It may just be a matter of finding the right tension, since those badges are kind of thick.
roseybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
marykz
Working the Gusset

yep- its a threading problem. look veeeeery carefully at your manual. then slooooowly, step by step redo the whole threading, bobbin, tension, and all. (even if you think you *know* how to do it- check the manual. they have some surprises...)

This happens to me when my thread isn't properly in the tension plates, or I pop the bobbin in backwards.

don't have the manual?
check here:
http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Diagrams.htm for general threading diagrams. (free)

hit home on that site to search for manuals you can order. (not free, but worth the $12 to me to get the thing working right.)

patience and double checking is worth the time. I hate ripping out. (sewing AND knitting)

Tomorrow I'm taking a class at my JoAnns all about getting to know your machine. It might be worth checking out if you have one near you. You tote in your machine, manuals and accessories and they help you figure out all the bells and whistles. I think it is called Machine Basics. I think it cost $20 or $30 for a 2 hour class.

good luck, MKZ

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Ok...i'll give it another go...and here I might not have NEEDED to buy the new machine afterall????? if all it was was putting the dumb bobbin in upsidedown?????

my first problem was that the thread on the spool kept getting caught on the notch...and the thread would break...but I did figure that out...

Thanks so very much for your help!!!!! I"ll revisit the manual that is written in PICTURES, NOT words, and a lady wearing a nice pump...yeah..I'm lucky if I have SHOES on, and the order of them goes from 1,2 5, 4, 6, 7. (notice there is no THREE.....and they are compeltly OUT of order.

ETAAgain

I DID have it threaded on the top wrong......but what it has to do with the bottom??? I've NO idea...I even got through about 6 patches with NO problem, and then it goofed up again...I looked at the weaving and threading, adn it got unhooked somewhere.

I even felt adventerous enough to try my hand at zigzag...and REALLY re-enforce those babies down..(the tryits with STRAIGHT stitches!!!)...whew..now to cut all those threads, but that's another day.

Thanks for your help..NOT going to turn it back in...

Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
marykz
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by HeatherFeather
I DID have it threaded on the top wrong......but what it has to do with the bottom??? I've NO idea......
If there is improper tension on the top the thread doesn't get pulled back up thru the stitch properly, and you get the loopyness on the bottom of the fabric. does that make sense? The needle punches way down into the machine, and the mechanisms of tension pull the extra thread back up before the next stitch. no tension- all the extra thread stays below.

Good job getting it working!! keep trying!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS that makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muy Bien!!!! (trying out my limited Spanish!!! lol....)
VERY GOOD

I do have a techie brain...so when you explained it that way...

I now need to get a proper table I think? My old dinosaur was in it's own table and connected to it somehow. I'll miss that part of it for sure!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
marykz
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by HeatherFeather
I now need to get a proper table I think? My old dinosaur was in it's own table and connected to it somehow. I'll miss that part of it for sure!!!
Just a little suggestion...
I put a sheet of that gripping no-slip shelf liner under my machine. it keeps the machine from scratching the table, and it makes sure it won't wiggle around. I got a couple placemat size sheets at the dollar store.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

Just a little tip to keep in the back of your head for future reference.

When adjusting thread tension, ONLY adjust the top tension. Never, ever, ever adjust the bobbin tension. There is a little screw where you technically can adjust the bobbin tension, but that is there for a sewing machine technician, not the user.

The top tension has a "standard" setting and the bobbin tension is set to work with that standard top tension. If you change the bobbin tension, you may never get it back where it should be because it's such a tiny little movement to change it.

Trust me. I learned the hard way on an old machine.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Oh man, I almost threw my (new) machine out the window the day before yesterday! I am so with you Heather!!!!

I broke 2 needles. Finally got the thing going again but now I'm afraid to do anything but straight stitch because when I turned the dial to a fancier bigger stitch the needles broke. If anyone has the time.... are you supposed
to CHANGE the pressure foot to do anything other than straight stitch? I don't THINK SO!

And also, try as I do, when I push the bobbin down to catch the thread it doesn't really seem to catch on anything.

I DEFINITELY want a class and thanks so much ! MARYKZ for that tip about Joannes. I'm not very close but maybe I can find a way to get there for those classes. I recently found some sewing classes in Manhattan
(clothes) but of course, being NYC they want $350 for like 4 or 5 classes.
Can no do.

HEATHER! Don't you feel like a GIANT sometime with your great big hands trying to do all that little threading stuff!!!!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote