Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Carla1019
Knitting the Flap

Can you read a book and at the same time knit?
I have about 5 books on my "wanting to read" list for about 3 years now. (can you tell how long I have been knitting?) I wish there was some way I could read and knit at the same time. Only if I was knitting something easy.

With this question in mind I did a goggle search. I did come across a blog where this lady got a book on tape and was able to finish her sweater at the same time. Not a bad idea. I might have to go to my Library to check out books on tape.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Jill A.
1st Leg of the Journey

I listen to books on tape all the time. I can't do housework without one!!

I get books from the library, but lately I have been listening to podcasts (about knitting) and audiobooks on my ipod.

If you go to librivox.org you will find a large number of audiobooks - fiction, non-fiction...even poetry. All the books are public domain, which means you won't find the current popular novels but many of the classics. Also - the books are read by volunteers (any one can do it), so some readers have better voices and techniques than others.

With podcasts, you just need to download the iTunes program and select the podcasts you want. All podcasts are free, and they are automatically updated when a new one comes out.

You can listen to the podcasts straight from your computer, put them on an ipod or burn a CD and listen later.

Hope this helps!!

Queue:
baby gifts

my blog

Jill A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

I can read a book while I'm knitting, but I find that the experience isn't too pleasurable. I need to concentrate looking at my knitting and the pattern, and I drop stitches when I turn the page.

Books on tape and podcasts are awesome! I can't wait for Project Runway to start again so I can listen to Tim Gunn's podcasts as I knit.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

I *can* but I don't. Stopping to turn the pages drives me nuts. If I could get my telekinesis down, then there'd be no stopping me!

In the meantime, audiobooks + an iPod is a good alternative to telekinesis.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
There is no way could I do that! LOL. I can't even watch a movie and knit at the same time. I can watch TV and knit because TV doesn't require all my attention, but a movie requires my undivided attention! Someone on this board (brendajos?) actually takes her knitting to the movie theater!!!
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

Hahahaaa... um, no. I can barely watch TV and knit. I can't listen to music and knit because my brain follows the music and I mess up the knitting. Maybe I'll get better with more experience!

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I've got pretty bad add... so... yes. Only with large books or hardcovers tho-- paperbacks don't stay open. I'm usually reading and knitting and watching tv. I tend to go nuts doing only one thing...
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Oh this is one of my special talents, I suppose. I have totally mastered watching a movie and knitting at the same time, TV too... as for reading a book (a real one with pages you have to turn) I sit on the floor, hold the book open with my feet, and read that way. I'm working on turning pages with my feet, too. Reading is one of my favorite things in the world but sometimes I want to be able to do some work with my hands while I'm at it.
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I have a book hug that holds open my book for me. I can knit and read, just don't do it very often. (The Book Hug has Les Mis on it, which I've been slogging away at for almost a year. I keep it on the kitchen table and read it when I'm eating alone.) I find it works best if I'm knitting and reading things that don't take much brain power.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I can, if the book can stay open. It'd be great to get a page turner, but that only takes a second and I can hold everything in my right hand and use my left for that.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote