Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 AM   #1
pure1
Casting On

Ready for a challenge..
Hi everyone,
I began knitting..gosh, over a year ago now, and I've made several things, including: TONS of scarves, two blankets, leg warmers and a small doll. BUT I've gotten bored and want to try something more challenging..although I admit I'm scared.. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to ease into more complex patterns..like what should my first "real" project be? (i.e. a hat, sock, purse, etc.) Thank you so much for your help!!!
pure1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susies1955
I was about a month into knitting when I did a sweater. I did a toddler size. Yes, it was confusing once in a while but I had help here and they are so quick to answer.
What is the worse that can happen????? You just have to rip back or something. Everything can be fixed.
Have a go at it.
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
http://susieshobbyspot.blogspot.com/
susies1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
MMK
Ribbing the Cuff

A booga bag will teach you picking up stitches and i-cord. Also felting! It is a good first project after scarves or flat work. You can google the pattern, it's a freebie.
MMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
marykz
Working the Gusset

the anthropologie inspired capelet is a nice way to ease into garments, raglans, increases, etc. It was my first "challenge" pattern.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
iza
Turning the Heel

I'm a big fan of socks! There are so many techniques out there (dpns, toe-up, cuff down, Magic loop, 2 circs, 2 at a time...) you can't get bored! I think the anthropologie-inspired capelet is also a great idea, and it's been on my list for a while but I have too many WIPs right now.

I think in a way the best thing for you to do is to find a pattern you absolutely love, and just go for it! If you can knit, purl, cast on, bind off, increase and decrease, you can pretty much make what you want. If you need help, no worries, KH is there for you!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

Me, too! Me, too!

I should have my afghan done by next week (crossed fingers) and am thinking of trying socks. I bought a book ... and every thing

BUT I'm not sure which version - toe up or cuff down - would be best for a newbie. Suggestions?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Curly_Toot
Ribbing the Cuff

I think with socks the recommendation is to first try top down, rather than toe up.

From what i can read about socks anyway, i've never felt the compulsion to try one.... and a co-worker said that they can be difficult.

My first wearable garment that wasnt a scarf was the Anthropology caplet... i'm going to make a 2nd one as soon as i finish whats OTN at the moment. The Knit Along thread can be found here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...81.0;topicseen