Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
stargazingchild
Ribbing the Cuff

Help on sock heel flap - selvedge stitches
Ok, I had this problem twice on my very first sock and thought I was just being careless and was an accident.

So I somehow just tried to fix it, managed to correct the accident without being noticeable at all (hoorah!!!) and went onto my second sock. I'm at the heel flap and it happened again!!

I frogged the heel flap, and before I begin I want to a) find out if I'm the only weirdo this has happened to b) find out if anyone knows what I am doing wrong before I start the heel flap again. I'm afraid if it happens a fourth time I will finally descend into knitting insanity.

So here it is:

I am doing a basic heel flap, working back and forth on one needle, and slipping the first stitch for easy pickup later.

As I progress, I look at the work only to notice that one of these slipped selvedge stitches has somehow unraveled from the work and started traveling down to the start of the heel flap. I am always shocked by the discovery, because I never notice it as it happens. I just look down and I see a loose stitch.

Worse, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the crochet hook to reconstruct the edge. Sometimes neighboring stitches come undone and I can work a column in the middle of a row, but the edges, all hope is lost.

I don't do anything unusual. I slip the first stitch of each row purlwise. (last sock I slipped the RS knitwise and the WS purlwise, made no difference)

I don't consider myself a veteran knitter, but I've done enough stockinette to know what I am doing that it shocks me that it happens without realizing.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong? Is this a common thing?

If not, and I'm just being mindless, well at least I've had the oppurtunity to rant I know everyone here has at one point in their knitting journey wanted to jab a DPN in their eye sockets

Thank you
SG
stargazingchild is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
hydeemarie
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to hydeemarie Send a message via Yahoo to hydeemarie
The general rule is to slip purlwise unless other wise indicated on the pattern. So, you may want to try slipping purlwise every time you slip stitches. Also, do you think you might accidentally lose the last stitch on the needle when you are knitting? Like you might lose the stitch or something when you turn?
(coming soon) Fair Isle Scarf

OTH:
Lapghan
Hats
Scarves
hydeemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

She's slipping purlwise... I can't think why this would happen! Are you sure the stitch is actually being dropped and unravelling into a ladder, rather than just being quite big and loose? Because that's what happens with those slipped flap edge stitches, they're quite big and loose.

There's a video of a tiny sock being made start to finish on this website, if it is a heel flap sock you might want to watch it carefully. Or post photos if this happens again.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I've never heard of it completely unraveling. Are you slipping it to the other needle? If the loop is on there it shouldn't unravel at all.

Just for the record..I slip wyif as if to purl, then move the yarn back on knit rows and continue.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
stargazingchild
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm positive the selvedge slip is dropping to the bottom, as I see the edge unravel.

Maybe I am dropping one when I turn?

I started it agan, this time I slowed down at the edges trying to catch it happen, and teh whole flap knit fine. So I think its related to going fast and not paying attention.

If it happens again I will take a photo for sure!

Thanks everyone, the mysetry continues...
stargazingchild is offline   Reply With Quote