Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
katiebug081504
1st Leg of the Journey

Pattern Help
Okay, this is my first shirt and I just want to clarify this part of the directions before I end up ripping it out for the fifth time. It says:

Beg with st 1 of chart, work 8-st rep of chart 9 times, work sts 11-15 once. Cont to foll chart in this way, rep rows 1-12, AT SAME TIME, inc 1 st each side (working inc in pat and inside of p2 selvage sts) at 6 1/2" from beg, then every 10th row 4 times more - 89 sts. Work even until piece measures 16" from beg.

So, my first increase from what I gather should be at 6 1/2", but where do I add it, and what st will it be on my chart (which is a 15 st chart with an 8 row repeat).

If anyone has the magazine, it is the Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2007 Pattern #5 (Cross Strap Top)
-----------------------
-On the Needles:
1. Simply Ginny Socks (1 complete)
2. Classic Wool Socks (1 complete)
3. Stag Bag (on the back...don't want to do the st st)
4. Five Easy Cables Blanket (1 of 8 skeins used)
-On the Hook:
1. Mantilla Lace Doily (I forgot where I am on this)
katiebug081504 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Okay. This is a hard one. I did a pattern once that required it, and my advice is to accept the fact that you are either going to rip out occasionally, or have a few imperfect spots.

What you are going to do is look at the pattern. It repeats, right? So your first increase will be at 6 1/2 inches. You put the extra stitches inside your selvage, and on the next row, when you have to deal with the new stitches, look at your chart, and see what stitch comes right before the first repeat. In other words what is the last stitch of the repeat, that should be the stitch you use on your new stitch, then start the pattern repeat as usual. When you increase again, the next row after is where you have to deal with the new stitch. You look at the second the last stitch in the repeat, use that stitch for the new stitch, the last stitch of the repeat for the next stitch, then start pattern again from beginning.

Does that make sense? When I did it, I actually mapped it all out ahead of time and made myself a new chart, including the new stitches, so I could visualize it.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote