Old 05-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
cando
Knitting the Flap

OT - Alaska Cruise
Hello!

My mom and dad will be visiting us next month and we're planning to book a cruise to Alaska for the two of them. This will most likely be in the last week of July.

I would love to hear about your suggestions regarding the booking process, shore excursions, weather in Alaska and any other tips you may have to offer.

Keep in mind that none of us have ever been to Alaska and none of us have ever been on a cruise

Thank you!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

Cando

I love to cruise and try to go on at least one a year. I have never been to Alaska so I cannot personally give you any advice. However, there is a great website to go to with all cruise questions. The website is

www.cruisecritic.com

When you get to the first page - register as a user. Then across the top click on where it says boards. You can read posts from a zillion people about the different cruise lines.

You can read and post about the different ports of call - just click on Alaska and there will be tons of information about excursions.

A lot of the different cruise lines go to Alaska but you will want to find the right one for you. I think all the cruise lines are a little different so depending on what you are looking for will depend on which cruise line you should choose!

Hope this helps

Lynn
Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Wonderful
I've never taken a cruise but I did live in Alaska!! I lived in Anchorage for 14 yrs. and LOVED it.

July is a perfect time of year to visit Alaska. Its one of the warmest months. Still bring a sweater ...it may feel "cool" to them. What cities are you going to ..Seward??

There is LOTS of wildlife there. We use to see Moose often and they bedded down in our yard all year long. Bald Eagles etc. Its a beautiful place.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Angelia

I didn't cruise in Alaska, but there are so many things to do inland that it's well worth planning a day or two just for that if you can. If you can do more than 2 days, a trip to Denali is well worth it--it is GORGEOUS! And you can do all sorts of activities--horeseback riding, visits to the sled-dog kennels, a busride to Mt. McKinley (well, 24 miles away, but it's still awesome ).

Of course just being in and around Anchorage and seeing the sights, the stunning flower displays, and the occasional moose is really wonderful! Unfortunately we never made it to Seward. The wildfires were so bad that year that even 30 miles away, it smelled like a huge BBQ and the smoke burned our eyes.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
Spindlicity (I believe that is the one) has an Alaskan cruise for knitters and spinners. I am looking at going around 2011. Anyhow, they generally have excursions to Quiviut farms, and I thought that was pretty cool.

Anywhere you go up there, you really can't go wrong. Just beauty all around.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
cando
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for all the info and the link. I did register and am browsing the boards, but there's so much information I'm overwhelmed

We're considering the 7 days interior passage, so it goes to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Hubbard Glacier. To and from Vancouver. Am yet to figure out shore/land excursions.. so I don't even know where Seward is

Personally I would LOVE to go on a knitting cruise but *sigh* it's not on the cards for many years.
I was telling my hubby and sis it's a shame we can't go with them this time. But since their trips are our treat, it will just be too expensive for us to join.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi-

We have been on two Alaskan cruises...both of the Inside Passage...Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, Tracy Arm fjord...with a stop in Vancouver..and back to Seattle waterfront.

You could take the Inside Passage cruise 10x's...and still see things and do things 'ashore' that you love!

My recommendation: take the May cruises, when the icebergs and snow are still all around! May is the first month that Alaska waterways open up.

We loved PRINCESS cruiselines...which is the cruise we took both times!
They are very very good to their customers...and we would cruise again with them anytime!

The shore excursions in Alaska are FANTABULOUS! With Princess.com you can take a look BEFOREHAND and see what all the shore excursions have to offer...and you can also "advance" book your shore excursions right from your computer! No waiting in lines on the ship! No disappointments because of certain excursions being 'BOOKED UP'.
The advance booking is not charged to your credit card til the cruise.

If you need more info, let me know!

One word of advice: BOOK A ROOM with a balcony! In Alaska, it makes all the difference. Caribbean cruises, no need for a window...there ain't nothin' to see but grey or grey-blue horizon...BUT WITH ALASKA! every turn is a breathtaking view! Don't miss one thing because you were in your room, or you were running up stairs, or in elevators...trying to get to the railing with the crowds...to see something spectacular!

Some days, me and DH didn't leave our room til noon or later...we ordered breakfast, lunch, and snacks (free!) in the room, and sat on the balcony with our camera, camcorder, and hot coffee!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #8
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I'll be in Alaska this summer!!!

I'll be working on Prince of Wales Island. Look at your first instinct of "Alaskan Islands" on the map. I'm betting you're looking at the Aluetians. If not, good for you. Go find the Aleutians. Now, go south. Keep going. Did you hit Canada yet? no? keep going. Now, once you hit Canada, turn around and head north until you hit Ketchikan. Now go West. That's Prince of Wales. (I realize that you've already looked at a map and found Ketchikan, but even after I told my prof I'd be in SOUTHERN Alaska, he decided to look it up and went straight to the Aleutians).

OK so I don't know anything about cruises or whatnot, but my grandparents took one and it went through Ketchikan. The weather in the area is cool and rainy... its a temperate rainforest, so rain gear is needed.

I'm an adventurer with a love of cold weather, so I'm probably not the best one to give advice on where to go or what to see if the person I'm advising isnt the same way. However, I believe my grandpa (mid 60's and hates not being busy) went on a rafting trip somewhere. My grandma (same age, bad knees and hips) passed up that opportunity because she can't swim so she avoids water sports. They did try panning for gold and such.
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote