Old 05-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
VOGUE MAGAZINE: JACKED MY PRICE UP?
I received a "let's make a deal" notification from Vogue knitters magazine...telling me that I have the fabulous one-time opportunity to take advantage of an amazing deal: a 2-yr sub renewal for $34.

FYI: I renewed for one year (4 issues) in Jan 2007 for $15!
Do the math.... $15 x 2 ... is equal to $30 for a 2 yr sub!

Dear fellow knitters, am I crazy...or has my price been jacked up?

Does anyone know: has VOGUE raised prices so significantly that a HIGHER RENEWAL PRICE within 4 months is actually a considered a SAVINGS?

Or, do they think subscribers are idiots that don't keep track of what they paid and when?

Well, your comments will aid me with the decision to: a) pay up...or, b) NOT RENEW AT ALL and DROP VOGUE, or, c) buy the issues that interest me at the bookstore.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
They may be raising prices, and/or your January deal may have been a limited, extra special sale.

The post office is raising stamp prices, which I'm sure you knew, but is significantly raising prices for "mailings" which is hitting a lot of publishers hard. Niche publications, like knitting magazines, aren't generally losing readers the way other magazines are, but there is a lot of doom and gloom in the publishing world that I'm sick of reading about. (Sorry, I work in book publishing and am taking graduate courses through Pace's Publishing program, and I feel as though I'm drowning in industry-speak and net buzzwords.)

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Yes, you may be right. I understand about "costs" only too well.

Well, I may just sit and wait out my sub. See what happens later in the year. I hate it when magazines start with the renewal prompts when you still have 3/4 of your current sub remaining!

Thanks for your input!

Artlady at Rav
Old 05-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

I was ignoring McAffee emails for a similar reason...Oops it expired on me. I really need to renew that tonight.

Am famoos!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
i encountered this kind of issue too many times aldy...magazines couple of time.. sometimes they thought we are so busie and not paid attention to what we used to pay....there is once i cancelled subscription of magazine and 2 years later they just charge my bank account for the subscription fee... if i never balance my bank account i would have never found out... it terrible ...
Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I know a lot of mags do that these days... buy a subscritpion and get one for 1/2 price for a friend or yada yada yada..
but can you call/emial them and ask what the subscription rate should be NEXT year ( are they PLANNING on a rate hike) b/c if not I would just keep my 1 year subscription and renew a year later at 15$ which btw is a good discount b/c I have paid 7$ for 1 mag!!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I may just ride out this sub...and see what happens. I may just let it expire. I may not.

I do love getting those top 3 subs: Interweave Knits, Knitters, and Vogue.

It is spendy at renewal time.

I may drop 'em all. I have so many patterns, books, leaflets in my stash..not to mention, all the FREE PATTERNS available online!

That's it...I may drop 'em all for a couple years. When you stop to think about it: how many items do I actually KNIT from an issue? One? None?
Even if I knit one per issue...and I don't...it is an expensive single "pattern".

I do love the knitting related "ads" though! I have found many useful knitting related things from the advertisements in the back of the mags. What to do, what to do.

This year, I have been keeping better track! I actually wrote down who I paid, what I paid, the check number and mailing date!

Sometimes renewal notices overlap...you send the renewal kinda late-ish...you forget you did it...then another desperation renewal notice comes...and you are just about ready to send the money AGAIN...and you think: Hmmmmmmmmmm. Haven't I been down this road before????

NO MORE! One check, one time.

Did someone say their subscription charged their bank account again? Oh no! My subs get paper checks.

Artlady at Rav
Old 05-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

If you don't feel you are getting value out of your subscription, then you can always take a trip to the local book/knitting store and check them out in person.

Am famoos!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

You are right there! That is what I used to do...and we go to the bookstore at least twice a month. Border Books & Barnes and Noble.

Artlady at Rav
Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
marykz
Working the Gusset

some magazines sell out their lists, and you end up getting multiple "renewal" notices long before your subscription is actually up. it makes me CRAZY!

the increase in mailing costs is only part of the problem, I guess... but it is still cheaper than buying them all off the rack.....

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote