Old 05-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

OT : must housetrain new puppy - added pictures
Not sure how my DH and I came to the decision that we needed a 2nd dog, but we got this adorable 7 month old boxer mix from the SPCA. She has prevented me from knitting for the last 2 wks b/c we cannot let her out of our sight and she LOVES attention.

We were told she was housebroken and I don't believe them. She was pretty good the 1st couple of days, then not so good, then great, then not so good yesterday and today. I need HELP !! This is my 3rd dog and don't remember it being this hard last time. I would like to avoid crating her so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears ....

thank you
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	togetherresize.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	39486  Click image for larger version

Name:	daisybedresize.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	39487  
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Can I ask why you don't want to crate her? I just ask because that is the method we've used with our three dogs and it really works.

Beyond that, regular trips outside. Praise her when she goes outside and tell her no when she goes inside. Let the other dogs teach her, and use good stain removal! It's just one of those things that takes time. We're going through it right now too!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

My hubby says I am over sensitive ... I feel bad locking her in a crate. Just seems so horrible to lock her in a cage for hours while the other dog is wandering about.

What baffles me is that she knows not to go in the house...while we are home in the evenings and over the weekend she will go for hours and goes to the door to go out. We leave for work in the morning she has done all her business outside and then my hubby comes home at lunch to let her out and she has peed. It's almost as if she pees when she sees we are home. Not to be gross, but the puddles are still warm. Now that I think about it the days the windows were closed there were no accidents....

When she goes outside we go nuts for her and give her treats....and she never goes in the house when we are here.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I know it seems cruel to put her in a crate, but a majority of dogs actually need that crate time. Our dogs will occaisionally go into the kennels willingly to get away if we have people over and they're stressed out. If there are fireworks going off, they head straight for the kennels. It's their little private safety place. The new puppy does not like hers because it is new to her, but she'll get used to it. Our dogs are kenneled any time we are not at home. It is for their own safety too, since they are small.

Stick with it, you're doing all the right stuff, and she'll figure it out.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
robynbird
Turning the Heel

I agree with using a crate. It could be she is nervous when you aren't home and so she pees. My puppy (5 mo Chocolate Lab) loves his crate. He goes in it at night and when we are not home. He nevers pees in his crate.

Also, going to a new home is stressful for a dog. So the SPCA probably was telling the truth in that she is potty trained, but coming to a new place she has reverted back a bit. Sounds like she does well when you are home, but when left alone she doesn't. The crate might be a good thing for her since she is used to her own space at the shelter.

Best of luck! And congrats on your new fur baby.

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

do we at least get a picture? you know as payment for our advice?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thank you for all your encouragement about the crate. I will definitely consider it and if she doesn't settle in by this weekend we will have to go buy one. HMMM I would love to share pictures, but I don't know how to resize them on my home computer....maybe hubby can
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Okay, well here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	n541952255_44286_7551.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	39485  
Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

my goodness - how adorable - the toy is bigger than the puppy
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
bellium
1st Leg of the Journey

a crate really is the best way to train a dog, old or new. dogs don't tend to want to soil their beds, and so crate-training is an easy way to teach them to "hold it in". dogs, for the most part, do not view their crates as "cages", but places for them, and them alone, and most dogs appreciate that sort of thing. positive reinforcement is better than negative - praise when the dog does do what you want, not scold when he or she does something bad, especially when you haven't caught them doing the bad thing - they don't always make the connection when some time has passed. the praise should be totally over-the-top, even if you feel like a fool doing it - not just a "good dog" and a cookie, but squeal and act like a fool and let the dog know how happy you are that it pooped outside - sounds crazy, but that's what dogs live for....
bellium is offline   Reply With Quote