Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Anyone own NO SHEEP FOR ME book? looks interesting...
I'm just looking at this book on Amazon. No wool is used in the patterns, just cotton, hemp, soy. Wondering if anyone loves the patterns?

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

I looked at it in person at my LYS. there is a range of projects from easy to intricate. I didn't look at Every page, but I liked it enough to put it on my wish list for the next time I'm ordering. I liked the section where she talks about all the different fibers, and how they behave, and how to use them.

Sooooo while I don't own it, I want to! (that probably doesn't help one bit...)

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I fell *in love* ith this book!!! There's 5 or 6 patterns in it that i am definitly going to make... in fact, the next one up for me is "tomato" which is the red (with white checks across bust) t-shirt towards the back of the book. I'm desperately trying to find yarn for Intoxicating (it;s green and purple mosaic style with lacy sleeves) that won't cost me an internal organ to make--the silk yarn I want to use would cost me over 350 bucks!!! I also want to make the blue cabled sweater (it uses rowan calmer which is heavenly), the silk hat, and the cables and Os cardigan.

Even if you're not interested in as many of the patterns, this is still an aesome book for all the info it gives at the beginning on how the "non-wooly" yarns are produced, what part of the plant they use (if any) and just a general overview of the process. Very facinating.

I own a LOT of knitting books, and no other book has so many designs i want to make. The best part is that the sizing is *very* generous!!!! Everything in the book can be made in my size, and I am one voluptuous knitter!!!

buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it buy the book you know you want it
Old 04-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
jmp3775
1st Leg of the Journey

I ordered it from KnitPicks and returned it. Tomato was the only thing that I saw myself MAYBE wearing. Depends on your style. My current faves are Fitted Knits and Twinkle's Big City Knits.
jmp3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Lyndalm
1st Leg of the Journey

I got it from the library. Loved the shawl, tomato, and the pair of socks. That was about all that was my "style". But the cable sweaters were lovely, but *way* out of my league.

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer
Lyndalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i have been thing thinking about buying this too.. my baby sister is alergic to animal fibers.. and it would be neat to have a whole book dedicated to using non animal fibers!
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
phisch
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been thinking of asking my local library to get it so I can see the patterns in person.
phisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
Lieke
Working the Gusset

I've got the book and it's great. It's got a lot of information about all sorts of non-wool fibers, some help with substituting wool yarn for non-wool yarn and a lot of nice patterns. Cables and O's is my favorite, but I like most of the patterns. If you are allergic to wool (like me) it's a book that is very valuable, because of all the information and finally some patterns that aren't designed for wool.

Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Thanks everybody! (Marykz it does help!)

Hildie you make me want this book immediately. Now that summer's here I feel like getting away from some of my wool. Funny, Jenn you mentioned Twinkle's book. I wast thinking of getting that instead (or also) but I read this review of that book on Amazon and this woman stated exactly what I was thinking: all the models are anorexic-herion-waifs and all the patterns are only up to a 38" chest. or smaller.

Glad you mentioned that Hildie about the patterns sizing. Ohhh I want to knit with silk! ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have a $25 credit at Amazon (for getting their charge card) so I need to order a couple books. Thanks again!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
mulene
Working the Gusset

I am buying it based on Hilde's glowing reference. My problem is ample boobage (and bellyage) so I'm always wary of buying books because they rarely meet my size.

I've just ordered from Amazon =D

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote