Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

Do I need to adjust the pattern
Hi,

I'm going to knit this coat...

I'm an XL and the bust measurement given is for 110-115cm. I measured mine and over my top I'm 116cm with the tape pulled tightly and 117-118 with it a bit looser. Do you think I need to make the pattern a little bigger? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks,
Mel.b
mel.b is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
wiredqs
Ribbing the Cuff

I would check the schematics (if any). It looks like a pattern with a lot of ease. That said, this would not look good if it pulled across the chest.
Make your gauge swatches and see what the coat will measure. Maybe you could go up a needle size to make it a little larger. That would save having to do all the math!.
wiredqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes it would need to be larger. Going up a needle size or two will allow you to follow the pattern for the XL and have it turn out bigger. Or you can see how many stitches there are between the different sizes and CO that many more and increase all the stitch numbers by that difference.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I knitted my gague/tension square last night and I was 2 stitches (I think) not enough in the required width. My understanding is that if knitted at this tension with those needles (7mm - what the pattern suggests) then my coat will turn out bigger than the pattern. As I already need to make the pattern bigger, will it work if I just stay with the 7mm needles and knit to the pattern, rather than having to use a different size needle to get the correct tension and then adjust the pattern?

Does that make sense? I was also a couple of rows too short with the tension in the length (and I always thought I was a loose knitter!) but I think it's more important to get the width right as I can just add on the extra rows for correct length.

Thanks heaps,
Mel.b
mel.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #5
slightly addicted to yarn
Ribbing the Cuff

Sounds like sense to me, however don't know exactly how much bigger that would make it, you don't want it drowning you! Not being an expert and having made some errors in this area in the past, i.e., an aran cardigan which took forever to knit and was way too big in the end, don't take my word for it! I think we less 'standard' sized ladies sometimes overestimate our size and think too big which is not flattering. Anyway, it's a lovely pattern and it would be great to see it when finished!
slightly addicted to yarn is offline   Reply With Quote