Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
lindakh
Ribbing the Cuff

Magic Loop - Picking up Heel Stitches?
I need a bit of "magic" help!

I've done a pair of toe-up socks using Magic Loop and a short-row heel, but I'm contemplating doing a cuff-down pattern. I'd like to do two socks at once, and I think I'll have no problem with it *except* for the heel. I'm trying to figure out how I should go about picking up the heel stitches for the gusset. Has anyone done this or seen a tutorial on it?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Why don't you use Google to find pictures and tutorials? Also Knitty has an article on picking up stitches. Grumperina has a preferred method, picking up stitches 'the pretty way'.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

I just did it (I'm using Silver's tutorial) and ended up passing the stitches back and forth on the loop until I had the stitches picked up and STILL had to pass some more until I could continue. There's GOT to be a better way!

As this is my first pair, I'm sure there's an easier way.

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
lindakh
Ribbing the Cuff

remclave - what do you mean by "passing the stitches back and forth"? I looked at Silver's tutorial, and she uses a short-row heel (and only picks up one corner stitch to close the heel)...did you change the pattern and do a different type of heel?

redwitch - thanks for the advice. I actually know how to pick up stiches, I just don't know how to do it when I've got two socks on one circular needle...I guess I wasn't too clear on my problem.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing, and when I finish my socks I'll post about how well (or not-well) it worked:

Once I'm done knitting the heel flap of both socks (with right side facing), I will - 1) Knit across heel of sock 1, 2) Pick up first half of gusset stitches of sock 1, 3) Knit across heel of sock 2, 4) Pick up first half of gusset stitches of sock 2,5) Knit across instep of sock 2, 6) Pick up second half of gusset stitches of sock 2, 7) knit across instep of sock 1, 8) Pick up second half of gusset stitches of sock 1......and then I'll be back where I started and can begin gusset decreases.

Does this sound logical? I guess I'll find out soon!!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by lindakh
emclave - what do you mean by "passing the stitches back and forth"? I looked at Silver's tutorial, and she uses a short-row heel (and only picks up one corner stitch to close the heel)...did you change the pattern and do a different type of heel?
I did mine on circulars instead of dpns and I didn't pick up the stitches the way you described so in order to get back on track and get my needle points set in the right orientation to knit, I had to pass my work back and forth on the needles. I made too much work for myself. But everything is going peachy now.

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote