Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Brrlracinbt
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting Kits
Do you like knitting kits? The type in YS's with the yarn and pattern ready to be made (bags, scarves, sweaters etc) I am working with a LYS to create appealing and conveinient kits for their store front. I am wondering what you knitters think of them and what you would like to see in a kit. What types of items? What appeals to you?
Thank you for any feedback!
I personally love kits, its all there and ready!
Patiently waiting: Knitted keys, baby bibs, burp clothes, baby girl kimono (for friend)
Recently FO: Baby sweater vest with hood (original design) Baby Bib, Felted Clogs (Fiber Trends) Topi from Knitty
Brrlracinbt is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
lissalue
Instepping Out

The main problem I have with the kits I have seen is the price. I can buy the items seperately, sometimes the exact brands and everything for less, so why buy the kit? It seems to me that I should feel like I am getting a deal, and I usually don't. I could be wrong, but this is just what I have seen.

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
DQ
Working the Gusset

The only kit I've used was a scarf one that my mum got me when I wanted to learn to knit. What attracted me to it was the gorgeous colours in the yarn. The price wasn't too bad either (about 6.00 I think). Some kits I see now are really expensive though and they don't really appeal now I've learnt to knit properly.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
RiverDaughter
1st Leg of the Journey

I love kits, but, once again, the price makes me think otherwise. That, and I usually like changing up the yrn I use for specific patterns, so meh.

GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.
RiverDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
TeenKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I like kits to be cheap, with high quality knitting needles and yarn, and a pretty pattern.

ON's: Water bottle cozy; socks in Knit Picks 'Frog Prince'; 4th pair of Bella's mittens
TeenKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
Kim Hargreaves sells her pattern in packages with Rowan yarns, and it just makes me upset. I would pay up to $15 for some of her patterns, and would like to buy them! Pretty frustrating that I can't get them.

I don't like being forced to buy certain yarns with patterns. From what I have seen most knitters don't like that situation.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
marykz
Working the Gusset

I like kits that don't have needles- I already have all the needles I need. A beginner may want them though. I also like kits that have all the"extras" like whatever buttons, ribbons, trim you need to make the finished product REALLY look like the picture.

A good picture and/or sample of the finished item goes a long way.

I like kits where the pattern isn't something I'd find readily on line- or a kit for a specific item from a special magazine article. Ususual yarns help too. and as awlays a clearly written pattern is important.

if it is in a nice shop (not a JoAnns or something)- I want to be able to look at and feel the yarn- don't just shove it in a plastic bag for me to guess what it will feel like. (I bought a "kit" for a blanket for more money than I had planned because the yarn was just that irresistable, and the blanket ADORABLE: it came in a little plastic basket, with yarn, pattern, ribbon, and a the pattern had a list of a range of yarns that could be used later if you wanted to make it again)

To have a range of kits for a range of abilities may be difficult- most kits I seem to find in shops are for the absolute beginner, with the most basic pattern.

I'm so glad you asked! I bet you will get a lot of ideas... MKZ

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Brrlracinbt
Ribbing the Cuff

Well in the past I have bought a lot of kits, and the reason being is you can get them with yardage almost exact. I do hate having to spend $20 for an extra hank of yarn that I use a smidge of!
Do you girls/guys feel the same way?
My thinking was to include needles in the beginner kits, but the more advanced would not need the needles.
We would also include everything needed (ie the ribbons, buttons and beads in order to completely finish the item)
Patiently waiting: Knitted keys, baby bibs, burp clothes, baby girl kimono (for friend)
Recently FO: Baby sweater vest with hood (original design) Baby Bib, Felted Clogs (Fiber Trends) Topi from Knitty
Brrlracinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
If you want everything together, then by all means by them. My aversion is a pre-packaged kit is xyz amount, while if you could buy the pattern, you could sub out a yarn, find the specific color you want, etc.

My big problem with kits is that they are overpriced and have very little choice involved. If you are going to package something, you are going to have a limited range or else it becomes cumbersome. I'd like to pick my own, but still be able to use the lovely pattern.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I also think those specialty kits are neat. I like the one's that have everything included to make a pink scarf for breast cancer awareness, etc. I think the one's that include everything are good for gifts to people who have shown an interest in knitting but haven't picked it up yet.
I do like the idea of the blanket kit though. I might buy that even as a semi experienced knitter because of the presentation, yummy yarn, etc. I think if you do it right even the blanket kit could be a cool gift from one knitter to another, such as gorgeous needles, malabrigo yarn, a fancy schmancy pattern, fantastic basket with a bow... I would pay a bunch of $ for that to give to my grandma for mother's day
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote