Old 05-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
tiffyshea
Casting On

Confusing lacey pattern... help!
Hello,

I'm somewhat new to knitting and am trying to knit a little lacey-ish shrug, but the pattern has two places that are a bit confusing, and I thought I'd ask you guys what you think:

Question #1:

The pattern for row 2 says: K2, *yo, k1 and repeat from *.
But for row 3 it says: P3, *drop 1, p1 and repeat.

The problem is that each time I k1 and then yo it creates two actual stitches and 1 yarned over stitch, so that the next row doesn't line up for that dropped stitch since it asks you to only p1 before dropping - (it works great for the first 5 stitches since you start out by P3, then drop)

So, is the pattern wrong? If so, should I change the first row and just *YO, or should I change the second row to *drop 1 stitch, P2

Or am I doing something wrong?

Question #2:

Later on the pattern says to K1 without dropping stitch off needle, yo.

My question is, when I go to yarn over do I put my needle in that same stitch that haven't dropped off, or do I skip it and YO the next one. This might be a dumb question because it seems rather crazy to try that second suggestion but the pattern doesn't seem to be working out right and I'm not sure where I'm messing up.

Anyway, any advice anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
tiffyshea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think the problem is when you're doing the yo and getting two stitches with the yo. A YO is just that--not the stitch that follows it.

So when you do a yo, you should just put the yarn forward and knit the next stitch. That will give you your yo, k1. I think what you're doing is yo, k1, k1.
It's a common mistake to include the next stitch with the yo.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote