Old 05-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
lilyofforce
Casting On

bought the wrong yarn - is this correctable?
Oops -

I was buying yarn to make the felted yoga mat bag from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts" - the bulk of the bag is pink, but there are two large blocks of color in the middle. The Manos del Uruguay yarn was pretty expensive, so I asked the store employees and was told I could sub in Araucania's Nature Wool for the bulk of the bag. So I have 3 skeins of the Nature Wool and one of the Manos. Except when I get home, I notice that they call for different needle sizes (4-7 and 8-10, respectively) and that they knit up totally differently. The pattern calls for a 10.5 needle, and the gauge checks out with the Manos, but not the Nature Wool (WAY too small).

Can I save this project without having to go out and buy more wool? I thought of either using a bigger needle for the Nature Wool and then switching, or doubling the Nature yarn? Would either of those work??

Karen
lilyofforce is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
That's a pretty big difference in gauge. What you can do is knit up a swatch with both yarns and the called for needle size then felt it and see how looks. Or you could try returning the yarn and getting something else.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
lilyofforce
Casting On

:P
eh poop.

The store won't take the yarn back b/c I bought it during a store-wide sale -
it was worth a shot, though. Thanks for your help!

I guess I'm off to the yarn store...
lilyofforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You might know someone else who'll buy it off you? Normally I would say double the thinner wool if it will get you similar gauge. However, for felting, it's generally a good idea for every colour to be the same line from the same maker/brand. It MAY work, but the only way to tell is to knit a swatch, felt it, and see if it works. You don't want to knit a whole bag and just hope it works out... but you also may not want to bother with felting the swatch. If you really don't want to spend the extra money/ have the other wool go to waste, it may be worth felting.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote