Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Why are there so many errors in knitting books!?(Knit Cafe)
I was just about to order Greetings From Knit Cafe which has some fantastic patterns. I went to the writer's website and there are a LOAD of pattern corrections! Geez. Then I was reading a review on Amazon about Erika Knight's book Classic Knits I think and this person said it's shameful that her editor didn't catch all the errors, there's just bunches of them.

That's so sloppy. I really want Knit Cafe though. so.... I guess I'll get it anyhow.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
candicane
Working the Gusset

I ordered that book from the library and am anxiously waiting for it. I want to make the La La Scarf first. I also printed out the errata for it. Glad to hear it has some nice patterns, the scarf is the only one I've seen.

I bought Twinkle's Big City Knits and the there are so many errors! Classic Elite Yarns has the errata on their website for it, and so far it is up to 2 pages. I know there are many more errors that they haven't posted yet either. I am pretty disappointed in the lack of editing in this book.

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
iza
Turning the Heel

yeah I hate that too. I have the SNB books and there are a lot of mistakes. I'm not in the editing world at all, but how is it possible to have so many mistakes? Do the editors simply look for typos? Is it the author's responsibility to make sure the patterns are accurate?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I'm not sure exactly how it works with knitting books and magazines, but I would imagine it would be largely the author's responsibility to ensure her/his book was error-free.

Editors don't actually "edit" the book...they make the business decisions about what to publish and when and how much to invest, and how to promote the book and what the cover will look like and which layout to use etc, etc, etc.

Copyeditors/the author are usually responsible for making sure that what is published is what the submitted manuscript says.

I work in textbook publishing...we hire math professor to check the accuracy of the math in our books...the text, the examples, the problems, the answers.

But there's only really one right way to solve a problem. Maybe you could use a different technique get the right answer, but there will only be one answer. With a knitting pattern, some people interpret abbreviations differently. Sometimes, a designer will have something set in their mind and not make it clear/not notice that what is written isn't what it should say. Their test-knitters might be so familiar with them that they understand the missing instructions, or dont' notice errors. It's not until the pattern is out there that errors are revealed sometimes.

I think it's annoying, but there's only so much time and money knitting publishers can invest to make sure that their patterns are accurate. At least these authors have made the errata available--nothing worse than finding a pattern with mistakes and no answers on how to fix it.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Debbie
Working the Gusset

A zillion years ago, I was a proof reader assistant at a printing company. I would read out loud to the proof reader and he would mark up the pages. I wonder if now that there is so much technology they don't take the time to do that. I think that it would be very easy to make mistakes when typing up knitting patterns ... to the point where someone would need to check it word for word, number for number.

Since designers have people who knit from their patterns to check them for errors, I would assume that the pattern was sent to the printer correct and the error was made in the typing... but I don't know that for sure.

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Yarn Doc
Knitting the Flap

So I went looking for the link to the publisher for Errata, and most of the books that I own are on it! The Knitting Nature errata is particularly shameful:

http://www.hnabooks.com/page/stc_craft_errata
Yarn Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yarn Doc For This Useful Post:
KathleenG (03-11-2009), zkimom (12-16-2008)
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by Debbie
A zillion years ago, I was a proof reader assistant at a printing company. I would read out loud to the proof reader and he would mark up the pages. I wonder if now that there is so much technology they don't take the time to do that. I think that it would be very easy to make mistakes when typing up knitting patterns ... to the point where someone would need to check it word for word, number for number.

Since designers have people who knit from their patterns to check them for errors, I would assume that the pattern was sent to the printer correct and the error was made in the typing... but I don't know that for sure.
Test-knitters don't always catch everything. There are lots of places for stuff to go wrong, from errors on the designers part, to things slipping by proof-readers, to changes not being made when they should've been.

We're only human...there's an acceptable level of mistakes. It sounds like this book is beyond that, though.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I would agree that a writer could give a perfect correct pattern to the publisher and get a lot of mistakes put in during the transcription process. It's not fair to assume the author must have handed in an incorrect MS. It's somebody's job to check that the printed book matches the submitted MS and it's just as likely that mistakes are from that end.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
AnaK
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: Why are there so many errors in knitting books!?(Knit Ca
Originally Posted by VictoiseC
I was just about to order Greetings From Knit Cafe which has some fantastic patterns. I went to the writer's website and there are a LOAD of pattern corrections! Geez. Then I was reading a review on Amazon about Erika Knight's book Classic Knits I think and this person said it's shameful that her editor didn't catch all the errors, there's just bunches of them.

That's so sloppy. I really want Knit Cafe though. so.... I guess I'll get it anyhow.

That book is great to have. I just love a lot of the patterns in it. i think I will try the keyboard cover from it next.
AnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Great response! Yeah an interesting subject. I can understand like, 5 errors slipping by but it's quite amazing when you see 20 or more.

Candice, yes Knit Cafe has SO MANY patterns I want to make that I am buying the book. (I have it from the library now) A darling roomy polo shirt that I'd like a few of.... lots of things.

Cawthraven, that's an excellent insight, the test knitters so familiar with knitting they don't notice or skip over a mistake... ha, I live in NYC, I should start applying for jobs as a proofreader! But I'm not experienced enough as a knitter I think. Being a bit new (well, a few years knitting now) I'm just learning (mostly through this forum) how important it is to check for errors before beginning. I used to have blind faith and just GO.

Wow, Yarn doc, thanks so much for that link, it's EXCELLENT! It reminded me that I have Loop-D-Loop and to check the... errata... (a new term for me) out before I begin a pattern in that book. What a strange google search, Errata!

Oh, btw, my lys owner told me yesterday that if I want to do Twinkles patterns there are probably? a lot of info online by people resizing those patterns bigger. I haven't seen any yet though. I think I'll hold off buying that book. And, at that Classic Elite site, it states that the patterns are meant to be snug and that's why they seem smaller.

maybe

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote