Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
alanna7181
Casting On

how to unravel yarn in the same direction you knit?
Hello, I would like to know if I knitted a sweater in the round from the bottom up and realize now that the sleeve parts are too poofy, and I would like to cut off the sleeves where they connect to the body and knit backwards, so knit the sleeves from the top down now is that possible? If so how would I cut the yarn and go about that process of knitting in the opposite direction? thank you - Alanna
alanna7181 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
redwitch
Working the Gusset

So you want to cut off the sleeves/upper body part and keep the lower body, and do sleeves starting from the top of the ribcage, going up to do the sleeves again? That should be very easy if the jumper is knitted in stocking stitch. Research 'using a lifeline' and more importantly, a 'destination row'. I believe there is a video here showing how to insert a needle to make a destination row.
Basically you put a needle through the fabric, through the stitches, all in the same row (further back in your knitting), and then you can cut the knitting a row above, unravel that row and you will end up with the lower row on the needles, ready to start again. Then take the upper body part and unravel them from the cut row up to reuse the wool. Is this what you mean? I'm not entirely clear on what construction you used for the jumper.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
. . . and if you're looking to do the whole sleeve, take the old ones off, pick up stitches around the armhole and knit down. You don't have to do anything 'backwards.' Lots of sleeves are done this way.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote