Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

How to sew? (mittens, etc)
Dear all,
Do you know how to sew knitted mittens (the cuff and thumbs)?Do you just sew it with sewing machine? or do you use a special knitting technique?

i sewed (with yarn) and i used 'graffiti' technique (is it the name? i saw it in knitter's magazine) but the first one is a mess (totally a mess) and the second is quite ok but i'm not sure i've done it really-really correctly.

And in knitted sweater/clothes project, what do you do to 'sew' together the parts? just sew it with sewing machine or special knitting technique?
Also, is the thickness of yarn a considerable thing to decide whether to sew or use special knitting technique?

please help...

thanks all...
Nichan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Usually for mittens the pattern is done in the round so there is no seaming and the thumbs are knitted on.

When doing sweaters and such they are seamed together using yarn. In the middle of this page ("Finishing Tecnhiques") you'll find videos that show the Mattress Stitch, Three Needle Bind Off and the Kitchner Stitch. The Mattress stitch is the most common way of seaming pieces together.
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
scubasinger
Ribbing the Cuff

And sometimes ya just invent something.

Seriously, I'm working on a piece right now that is done in blocks of reverse stockinette. But the blocks 'run' different directions. And so I have to sew a block where the rows run horizontally to a block where the rows run vertically. Mattress stitch seems designed for rows that run parallel.

So I just worked on the backside weaving from the stitch on one block to the stitch on the next, pulling it tight but not so tight that it puckered, and trying to keep my sewing yarn always on the back so it didn't show on the front.

It turned out okay on the front...no really noticeable seaming. The backside, though, is a fright. The scars on Frankenstein's monster are prettier!!

A BIG help on this site (to me, at least) would be more videos, instructions, etc. on a wide variety of sewing techniques for different situations.
scubasinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

You are right, sometimes you just have to make it up!

This book has a FANTASTIC section on seaming pieces. It shows all different ways depending on how the fabric is held, so even if the stitches are running in the same direction it still shows how to make it "invisible". I have the smaller version of the book that I carry with me everywhere - I think it was $15 or $20.
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote