Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

Shandeh

Thant looks great. I also hate homespun - it splits so much when you work with it. I gave all mine away that I had in my stash to my mother-in-law. She made a hat and scarf for our postmand and now he brings our mail into our condo everyday instead of leaving it in the mailbox!

Lynn

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
marykz
Working the Gusset

its a very pretty shawl- I'm sure it will be appreciated. I think homespun has its uses, and I use it for things I need to finish quickly like charity hat/scarf sets, but it isn't my favorite yarn to work with.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
carmabelle1191
Turning the Heel

I hate the homespun as well, I used it a while ago when I made a scarf for my grandpa. I could never seem to find even tension. You did a great job anyway though, and I do love the color!

My Knitter's Geek Code:
KCR+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Addi+@ KPO++ !Pl Bam-( ) Cas> Syn- Cot++@ Wool(+) Hemp>? Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin+? Ent> FI>? Tex>? Lace>? Felt-? Flat(+) Circ+ ML+ DPN- - Swatch(+) KIP+ Blog EZ(?) FO+ WIP(-) GaugeW (DK) F> S> Sp>?
carmabelle1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
larudden
Knitting the Flap

What a beautiful shawl. I'm glad you took the time to finish it! It's sure to bring joy to someone in need.

Maybe Homespun is God's way of teaching us persistence!
larudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
Teeka
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by luv2knit View Post
What a great ministry, I would love to start one at my church, but first I have to get people interest in knitting beside me! :thinking:

I know what you mean about homespun, it's not my favorite yarn either. I have a blanket that I am working on my for my DD, and I took with my this past weekend so I could work on it. (It's from the Lion Brand Website the Country Cousins Blanket that I am making larger with more squares.) I didn't get very far! It's really not that hard, only squares in garter stitch!

Good for you getting your shawl done!

Sandi
Hi! I'm working on that same blanket--the country cousins one. I let my son choose the colors (he picked blue, red, and white, the colors of the French flag). Since I'm abroad right now I couldn't get great yarn, so it's not going to turn out as soft as it looks in the picture. It is a bit tiresome to keep up the garter stitch square after square after square after.....

Sell your clothes; keep your thoughts.
--Henry David Thoreau

Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by larudden View Post
Maybe Homespun is God's way of teaching us persistence!

I think you're right!

Ingrid calls it "homeshun". :rofling:

Even though it is a pain to work with, it does make a beautiful shawl. I try to stick with just garter stitch projects with this yarn, because any other stitch would be a royal pain!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
photogirl12
Casting On

I am on the Prayer Shawl Message Board. My church is so small that I don't think we could get a group together. I usually just make them on my own and give them to people that I know that need prayers. I have made somewhere near 30 in a year and a half. I mostly use Homespun, but occassionally use worsted when I can't afford the Homespun.

The Homespun seems to be easier to work with when I am crocheting than knitting.
photogirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
yiayiabryant
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to yiayiabryant
Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
My church has a prayer shawl ministry, and so far I've only given ONE to the cause. (I gave the teal shawl I made about a year ago.)

I'm a very slow knitter, so I've been working on a burgundy prayer shawl for the past few months, in between other projects. It's made with Lion Brand Homespun yarn, which is not my favorite yarn to work with. So, it's been a real chore for me to make myself knit it.

(I was longing to work on my Debbie Bliss Pure Silk tank top instead!)

So tonight, I FORCED myself to sit down and finish the shawl.

Yay!!! I guess I'd better not knit any more of them, because my heart is just not in it. Maybe I'll be more inclined to work on them in about a year. We'll see. Until then, I'm donating ALL my Lion Brand Homespun to the ministry, so they can use it to make shawls without me.

Hi Sandy,
What a beautiful shawl. I just completed on in that same color and it took me several months. I have started using #13 needles cast on 57 and do the k3 p3 stitch. I started our group at our church last May and we have given out to date 48 shawls. I am just thankful that there are several who knit faster than I and keep the supply going. Good luck with your knitting and the Lord will let you know when to start again.
Blessings,
Maria
aka yiayiabryant
yiayiabryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
BobbyeStegen
Casting On

prayer shawl ministry
My first post here.

Ditto on Homespun. I get bored working on the same large project so what I do is knit about 3 at the same time with different patterns, different threads and colors. This takes away the boredom. I do think it is a worthy cause and blesses so many people.

Bobbye

Bobbye
BobbyeStegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #20
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Shandeh, your shawl is BEAUTIFUL!!!

I've learned to "tolerate" Homespun because I really like the way the colors blend together, and I've used it for prayer shawls (I do these on my own). When I use the Homespun, I will only do garter stitch because the boucle of the yarn doesn't show much off in the way of fancier stitches, but honestly, it's gotten a bit boring for me to do just plain garter stitch prayer shawls, so I've done feather and fan (which is a very easy pattern to work with while you're concentrating on the prayer aspect), as well as the "trinity stitch" (this and this are examples) using a worsted weight yarn and slightly larger needles for a lacier effect between the bobbles, as well as a small garter stitch border along the sides and bottom. It really turned out nice, and it was a fun knit. For those that don't really want to knit row after row of plain garter stitch, perhaps either of those two patterns could be possible (easy!) alternatives to a garter stitch shawl if you wanted to continue to make prayer shawls?

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote