Old 05-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Nel83
Casting On

I've been knitting WRONG for the past 4 months!!!!Help!
Last night, while reading one of my knitting books, I noticed that instead of making my knit stitches in the front leg of the previous stitch, I make them into the back loop. In other words, I make what is called a twisted knit stitch where I should be making regular ones. I've already finished two sweaters this way and am in the middle of making knitty's Cleo top right now, all wrong .
What exactly is the difference in how the finished stitches look, depending on whether they're twisted or not? How can this influence a pattern?
Nel83 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
ADAllen
Turning the Heel

I did that for a bit on a blanket and then I switched and it looked the same except tighter. The biggest difference was how my YOs looked. In the regular stitches they make a 'hole' in the fabric and in the twisted stitches there seemed to be a loose piece.

ADAllen
The Kniterati
ADAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Nel83
Casting On

Oh, that's why my lace didn't look really lacey...thank you!!!
Nel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
syndactylus
Turning the Heel

if you tried to do fancy rib patterns, like the ears of wheat one, you would also notice that something was horribly terribly wrong.

I did that for a whole year until I found the videos here, so you're not alone!
syndactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

Also, the tension with twisted stitches makes it nearly impossible to do cables & other fancy stitches. :?

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Braden
Instepping Out

If you are comfortable knitting through the back loop, you can continue doing so by wrapping your purl stitches under the needle, thus forming your stitches in a way where, on the right side row, they are already formed where you can knit them through the back loop quite easily. If you don't understand that way of purling, Amy has a video HERE

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
KnittingNat (05-20-2007), SoapDoc (05-19-2007)
Old 05-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #7
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by ContiKnitter View Post
If you are comfortable knitting through the back loop, you can continue doing so by wrapping your purl stitches under the needle, thus forming your stitches in a way where, on the right side row, they are already formed where you can knit them through the back loop quite easily. If you don't understand that way of purling, Amy has a video HERE
You're absolutely right! I think that's what Amy called combined purl. That's what i do when i'm not knitting with patterns (that's how i learned to knit). And then if you want to purl a knit stitch (like in seed stitch), you purl through the back loop to make look ok and not twisted.
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
You're absolutely right! I think that's what Amy called combined purl. That's what i do when i'm not knitting with patterns (that's how i learned to knit). And then if you want to purl a knit stitch (like in seed stitch), you purl through the back loop to make look ok and not twisted.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Don't feel bad! I used to combination knit and I didn't know there was anything different about it. As I watched other knitters knit, I adapted my knit stitch to the front of the loop but it never occurred to me that I was still purling like I did when I knit through the back of the loop.

Then I took a class at my LYS and was told by the instructor that I was purling wrong! I had been purling like that for years and I was devastated. I practiced and practiced and now I knit continental but it wasn't until I found this site that I realized I had been combination knitting, not knitting WRONG as I had been led to believe by the well meaning instructor.

I do knit straight continental now, just like the Amy's videos -- I had to adapt my purl stitch to match my knit or else go back to combination knitting but then what do you do with all those patterns that require you to knit through the back of the loop in order to twist the stitches differently from the rest, like the famous Clapotis?

Oh well! The upside is that my gauge comes out much better when I knit continental as opposed to combined so I guess I'll stick with what works.

Happy knitting to all, however it suits you!

Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
cheezelkat
Casting On

I knit wrong for a year...and halfway through a pair of pants for my boy I accidentally poked the needle through the front loop and - it dawned on me what I should have been doing :rofling:
cheezelkat is offline   Reply With Quote