Old 05-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Are You Up For a "Dilly"? KHAKI CABLES!
I am going to start the KHAKI CABLES cardigan featured in the Winter 2006 KNITTERS magazine, pg 88.

CLICK HERE to view a photo of the sweater!

Don't be freaked out by the $144 next to the photo. I think that includes the pattern and yarn at this particular website. I linked up with the Knitters Magazine HERE and kept clicking along to find the magazine and a photo of the sweater so I could post it. I was also looking for a corrections page...but never did find one. If you know how to find Knitters Magazine Corrections Page, let me know. Most appreciated. Nice to know ahead of time if the pattern has glitches.

If you have the magazine, OR if you can find it at one of your favorite online yarn/pattern haunts...you can use your own STASH YARN, which is what I am doing...using my STASH YARN!

Well, I am leaving on a mountaintop week-long vacation at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning...and will be back on Memorial Day. In the meantime, I will be starting my KHAKI CABLES! I will knit almost all day every day...only taking breaks to cook for DH, sleep, hike around to film and take photos.

I will be in a location here in our Washington State wilderness that is considered "off the grid"...aka no internet access, no electricity, no telephone...nothin' but great cell phone access....and bear, cougar, deer, moose, eagles, mountain flowers, wind, air, sun, etc. etc.

I will check back later tonight and see if I will have any knitting buddies for this project. It looks easy, well, it IS EASY...just a lot of interesting design...and the pattern is well written. I will enjoy it.

I am using RY mercerized pure white cotton. I need this sweater for an air-conditioned June 22-24 event. Will wear it with a white tank top and denim skirt.

I love the self-yarn I-Cord frog closure! Amy taught me how to make I-cord via her great video clip here at KH. So simple.

After I get back on Memorial Day, I hope I have a KHAKI CABLES knitting buddy (or two or three or four....)

I have been knitting since 1970...and have many knitting accomplishments under my belt...so you will have a knitting buddy you can lean on! However, that said...in the World of Fabulous Knitters and Designers...I consider myself about a 'kindergartner'.

Have I done a good selling job?!! Wanna sign up for a dilly of a sweater?!! I sell art real good...don't know how good I am on sellin' someone on the KHAKI CABLES!

Well, I am off to do a art show...be back later...I am 5 minutes late.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Its so pretty
I won't be joining you at this time in making it but I do think it's a beautiful sweater. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Be sure and share photos.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
LBoater
Casting On

Not ready for Khaki Cables
Art Lady, I'm definitely not ready for Khaki Cables, but I did find the corrections page at the magazine's website. If you click on the help link on their page it will take you to the corrections, but there were none listed for this project.

Your work is absolutely amazing, so I'll be checking out your progress!
LBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Don't be freaked out by the $144 next to the photo. I think that includes the pattern and yarn at this particular website.
I think that's supposed to be $14, because the other sizes are all less than $100.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
AnaK
1st Leg of the Journey

I love that sweater. But I don't think I can start it for another week or 2. I need to finish my curent 2 projects.
AnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Aparna
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Aparna
I love the cables. It reminds me of something similar that I saw in macy's. But i can't start right now - need to finish the two projects that I am working on currently.
Aparna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #7
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
It's so gorgeous! It's not at all right for my body type...:thinking: Wonder if I could modify it somehow....
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks to all of you for acknowledging my KAL invitation. "Timing is Everything"...and I understand why you can't get going on KHAKI CABLES right now! Thanks too for the info about the pattern corrections for Knitters Magazine! Glad to know this pattern has no errors!

I didn't get going on KHAKI CABLES. The weather was way too windy...and it blows dirt into your knitting. Even my KACHA-KACHA stitch counter is kinda jammed up due to windborn dust! I couldn't keep my hands clean enough to work on a pure white yarn for KHAKI CABLES.

So I went to PLAN B...what respectable knitter do you know that doesn't take a PLAN B project on her/his vacation!!! I worked on a Crazy-Quilt knitted afghan for a young granddaughter. My plan will require 63-7"x7" squares...and I am using the book 200 Knitted Squares to pick and chose my patterns. I have loads of worsted weight Stash Yarn for the project! So, that said, I got 20 squares done! I'll wash and block them this coming week. Will save this crazy quilt afghan for our remaining weeks on Nighthawk Summit. Kinda fun to have quick small-sized things to work on! If anyone is interested, I created an Excel Spreadsheet to plot out a grid for the squares. Really helps me 'visualize and plan' the color and pattern distribution for the afghan squares.

I will start KHAKI CABLES this week. It should go fast. I am ready for a change of pace.

OT: Photos below show a view from the hike up to the top of Nighthawk Summit, elevation 4310 ft. Our camp is situated above the treeline. This is why we get the tremendous wind...and oh the thunder and lightening can set in real fast. We came back a day early because T&L was setting in today.

The photos were taken from our 'driveway' on May 22...however, on May 25th, I took photos of a mother bear and her cub's paw prints in the soft soil on this same ground! They were cutting up and across our 'driveway' to go down over the mountain. We carry UDAP bear repellant, however, my husband's two Treeing Walker Coonhounds make so much noise...baying and barking...this actually 'repels' the bear and cougar that also reside on Nighthawk Summit from coming into our highpoint camp. Bears don't like noise. Neither do cougar. We have not had any one-on-one live standoffs with them in the 6 years we have owned this property...but...we see evidence of their presence everywhere. Prints in the soil, tree scratchings, and scat. We decided to install a 'trail cam' next month when we go back for another week. We will have 'faces' to go with the paw prints!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nighthawk May 2007 089.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	39974  Click image for larger version

Name:	Nighthawk May 2007 090.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	39975  

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 05-27-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi HunterJenn!

I think you could alter this pattern width-wise and/or length-wise.

To add length, which I am doing...just knit additional repeats before starting the armhole/armpits shaping.

To add width, just add cable repeats within the row. Try to add repeats evenly such as: if you add two full repeats to the BACK...add one full repeat for the Left Side, and one full repeat for the Right Side.

I have added gussets to the sideseams of a cardigan to add more hip allowance. It looked really great. It gave the cardigan a 'swing coat' apprearance...and looked like it was planned that way. To make a gusset, I cast on 20 stitches. I think my sweater was 100 rows to the armpit. I distributed row decreases evenly, so that by the time I got to row 100 my 20 stitches were depleted. I mattress-stitches the gusset edges to the front/back edges. The gusset is nearly invisible! If you would like, I will post a photo shot of the gusset of that particular sweater. Let me know!

Any other pattern-stitch altering...my suggestion is: pick another pattern. There are just too many patterns to chose from to stress yourself over just one pattern. But, I don't mind altering length, width...'size' issues. Be aware that enlarging a cable pattern will significantly increase yarn usage. Cabling really sucks up the yarn!

Artlady at Rav
Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Thanks for all the tips!

Actually, it wouldn't be the first time I'd altered a pattern for width and length. I think the cables are just too bulky for my body type--the sleeves especially. I'll give it another look, though, to see what I think about just scrapping those cables. It's so pretty!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote