Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Gifting
For those that have made baby blankets as gifts, have you given the blanket itself as the gift, or added other things as part of the gift? I'd like to add more to go along with my blanket that I'm making for a friend, but I don't think finances will cooperate.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Braden
Instepping Out

I always knit a whole layette (sweater, blanket, and socks), and that seems all, but you could also include a bottle set, a pacifier, and baby toys.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Krystal
Turning the Heel

A gift is a gift regardless of size and expense. If a blanket is all your expenses can handle,then that will be just fine.

I personally consider a hand knit blanket more than enough considering all the time, labour and love that went into it. If you have excess yarn and some time, you could make a little set with hats and gloves, or a sweater... if you still feel like a blanket isn't enough.

Hopefully the receiver understands all that goes into handknits.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
snephenie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to snephenie Send a message via MSN to snephenie Send a message via Yahoo to snephenie
Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
A gift is a gift regardless of size and expense. If a blanket is all your expenses can handle,then that will be just fine.

I personally consider a hand knit blanket more than enough considering all the time, labour and love that went into it. If you have excess yarn and some time, you could make a little set with hats and gloves, or a sweater... if you still feel like a blanket isn't enough.

Hopefully the receiver understands all that goes into handknits.

Exactly what I was going to say. Except, I was going to add, if the person you are giving it to doesn't think it's "enough" then I wouldn't waste my time, efforts and care on them.
snephenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
Braden
Instepping Out

I didn't mean to sound rude; if a blanket is all your budget allows, than that is more than enough.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #6
letah75
Working the Gusset

By all means the blanket should be enough. The time, effort and caring put into making a blanket should be appreciated and loved. However, if you feel as though you want to add something in with it, I would suggest a book that was a favorite of yours as a child, with a personalized note in the front. So when baby snuggles with the blanket, he/she can be read to out of your book.

Also that way when the blanket gets put away because baby grows out of it, the book can be placed with it. It would make a wonderful heirloom, blanket and book. It can carry on for generations.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 AM   #7
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ContiKnitter View Post
I didn't mean to sound rude
I didn't think you sounded rude--I appreciate everybody's responses! Part of this predicament is my fault...had I not waited until the 11th hour, I could've been knitting nice little things all along, buying a little here and there.

But part of me waited until the last minute because I wasn't sure that the recipient would understand how much time and work went into a baby blanket, and I don't mean that as an insult to them--my personal experience is that people that don't sew, knit, crochet, etc. (handicraft) typically don't usually know what a long process it is, unless they have somebody close to them that does these things and they can see first hand. After some contemplation, I figured that I would just go ahead and make a blanket anyway, and that making a handmade gift over buying something from the store was a better idea anyway with being short on funds because there is a labor of love in a handmade item, no matter how small it is; with a store-bought gift, I usually feel like when I can't spend as much as everybody else on gifts, it looks like it, you know? If I can get my behind in gear and try to work on the blanket as much as I can in the short time I have left, I'd like to maybe add a matching hat or something else quick to knit to it because I'll have yarn left over, but we'll have to see how much I can get accomplished. Hopefully I can finish it up in the next couple of days!

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

I just gave one of my coworkers a baby blankie as a shower gift. I spent over $60 on the yarn and have hours and hours of time in the blanket. Even if she does not realize the cost and effort associated with the gift, I know. I also made her a felted diaper bag - she had a really tough pregnancy including gestational diabetes so I wanted to make her something and something for the baby. Please don't sell your handmade gifts short by feeling that you need to buy her other things.

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanibelle For This Useful Post:
cookworm (05-21-2007)
Old 05-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Sanibelle View Post
Please don't sell your handmade gifts short by feeling that you need to buy her other things.
Thanks, Sanibelle...this really helped put things into perspective. I didn't spend a ton of money on yarn, but I still have a lot of time and work invested in my project, and I really tried to find a pattern and yarn color that I thought would suit the parents perfectly. I almost don't want to give it away once it's done, it's coming out so nice. I have a hard time parting with my projects sometimes when they come out like I planned.

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I have gave several baby afghans and that is all.. they were always very well received... I have added booties as well if I had time and yarn left over.. they are very fast to knit and so cute.. I have trouble sticking to baby afghans too.. I keep telling myself I should have one going at all times that way it is already to give.. but I haven't done that yet...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote