Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Baby hat pattern - UPDATE for Julie
I'd like to make this hat, but I'm having some trouble with the pattern. According to the gauge of the yarn they used, the finished hat should be about 17" in circumference. According to the Yarn Council's standard measurements, that head circumference surpasses a toddler sized head, but I'd be knitting this hat for a newborn (which they say should be around 14" circumference). While I appreciate all babies are different and so are their head circumferences, I think that's a bit big for a newborn.

So I did some math (and actually figured it out! ), and by the yarn gauge, figured here's what I'd need to cast on for these circumferences:

14" - CO 63 sts
15" - CO 67.5 sts
16" - CO 72 sts

My problem is that I'm not sure how to alter the number of CO so that the decreases go smoothly, and also, so the cable pattern isn't affected. Help! Do I need to have a cast on divisible by 4 for the decreases to go right? What about the cable pattern?

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!

Last edited by cookworm : 05-21-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: UPDATE
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

Hey, that's my pattern

If you go by the gauge on the yarn ball, then yes it would appear that they would turn out big -- but that's a stockinette gauge measurement, whereas the entire hat is knit in a cable pattern, so the gauge would be different. Cables pull together a lot, so I think you'll find that it turns out much smaller than 18". I would measure a finished hat for you but I've given them all away!

If anything, before trying to alter the pattern, you might want to knit a gauge swatch in the cable pattern to be safe.

If anything, people have reported that when they finish, the hat looks too small rather than too big -- but the cable pattern makes it very stretchy. In any case, if you do knit it I would love to hear your feedback. :D
The Following User Says Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
cookworm (05-21-2007)
Old 05-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Julie--THANK YOU!!!! This is most helpful, because I totally didn't take into account the cable pattern pulling in the circumference of the hat! Since it is your pattern and you've made it before for babies, I will make it exactly as you have written it, and I won't worry about changing a thing.

And by the way, the hats are ADORABLE!!!!! I hope I didn't insult you with my post--if I offended you, I'm sorry. I was just worried that the hat would be too big. I'm not sure which hat I'm going to make yet, but either one will compliment my cabled baby blanket beautifully. I literally cheered out loud when I came across your pattern because it was EXACTLY what I was hoping to find! I'm hoping to take a quick break from my blanket to knit one of the hats up to add to the blanket, I think.

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I thought a newborn's head was about 15"? And they're usually squashed from birth, but get larger within a week after the bones shift back to where they're supposed to be.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

Oh, no offense taken! :D

Sue, I usually work off the official Yarn Standards chart for measurements, which lists 14"...but as we all know, each baby is different...thank goodness knits are stretchy!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
cookworm
Working the Gusset

And if there are babies born with heads like mine, they'll need that extra stretchiness! :rofling:

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Julie--I wanted to tell you that I made the five cable hat patten today, and it came out ADORABLE!!!! My toddler was so impressed with it that she grabbed from my hands and raced to put it on her baby doll, insisting it was for her baby, then she put it on her head too! (I really had to bribe her to get it back) Given her reaction to the hat, I'm pretty sure I'll have to make matching hats for both her and her baby, but that's okay, because the hat was easy and it came out adorable. She loves wearing hats. So your hat won the toddler seal of approval, too!

I'm on flickr, too!