Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
dink
Turning the Heel

Needles on Airplanes, I'm scared to do it
I'm taking a lovely 4+ hour flight to see my family over Memorial weekend. I been reading threads on the TSA security, and went to my airline (Southwest) and checked their rules, and that lead to the TSA site where it says it's okay to take them on, etc.

But part of me is afraid to do it, because I'm fearful they are going to be taken away. I'm wanting to take my Options but I'm fearful because they are so sharp they'll be taken away. I only have one small pair of plastic, and 3 wooden pairs, and the rest are metal.

I read someone said that putting the rubber end caps on may seem as a way of making them look less like a weapon. And then of course the self addressed stamped envelope. I'm just afraid because it's my first time, and well, I won't have any baggage to check should they get taken away!

dink is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i used to work for tsa (until i had my dd, now i stay home) i know they are okay. i would reccomend pulling them out of your carry on bag, lay them flat for the xray. this will make them easy to see. they may still want to open it up and physically look at them though. i would probably have at least one of your options circ put together and in use so they can see that they really are knitting needles. trust me, they are ok.
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
zip

First, exhibit no fear. It isn't as though you're trying to hide something. Don't point them out to security. Don't ask, "is it ok if I bring these with me?" You've done your homework. If you are denied (which can happen at any airport at any time,) there's a Checkpoint Mailers kiosk at your airport.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Worst case, they tell you to mail them home.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
dj
Casting On

It's not a problem. I flew in February - with a project - and no one said anything. I took something that wouldn't require scissors or anything other than the circular needles being used - the rest of my "stuff" was checked!
dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

I get a magazine called Yarn Market News - it is really for people that own a LYS so I do not know how I got the subscription - but I just got a new issue on Friday and there was an article in there about bringing needles on a plane. I will check tonight when I get home but it seems that there was a new ruling last month that said metal needles and circulars over 32 inches were not allowed. I will post the quote when I get home.

Lynn

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
misha rf

They're still allowed according to the TSA's website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Markette
Ribbing the Cuff

I felt the same way about taking needles on a plane a few weeks ago, but I finally just sucked it up and tried it. I had a shawl going on Inox grey circulars, and I put it in a plastic zip bag and put that in my work bag and didn't say a word to security about it, and they didn't say a word to me about it. In fact, when flying home, they checked inside my purse, but not the bag with the knitting. And then I got to the gate and there was a woman sitting there with long straights. I'm pretty convinced that there's no reason to worry, now.
Markette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
KathyinCali
Turning the Heel

[quote=Sanibelle;859393]I get a magazine called Yarn Market News - it is really for people that own a LYS so I do not know how I got the subscription - but I just got a new issue on Friday and there was an article in there about bringing needles on a plane. I will check tonight when I get home but it seems that there was a new ruling last month that said metal needles and circulars over 32 inches were not allowed. I will post the quote when I get home.

I would really appreciate knowing if this is a new rule. I travel all the time with metals and long circulars and haven't yet had a problem but there's always a first time.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

OTN-
Blanket Sweater and Sweaters for My Li'l Lucy!
KathyinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

I checked the TSA website - here is the quote from their web page:

Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers. Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. We recommend the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:
  • Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
  • We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
  • Scissors must have blunt points
  • In case a Security Officer does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
  • As a precautionary measure we recommend that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint
Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.

Lynn

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sanibelle For This Useful Post:
dink (05-21-2007), geekgolightly (05-23-2007), indigoblossom (06-17-2007), JGM (05-23-2007), Jill A. (05-21-2007), KathyinCali (05-21-2007)