Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
misha rf

KIP Story
A couple of days ago, my husband & I went out to lunch at one of the nicer places in town. I brought my knitting in with me. I noticed a woman sitting a couple of tables over watching me. After a few minutes, she came over to me & complimented me on my knitting & asked for info about shops & knitting groups in the area (she'd just moved here). I told her about the shops in town--one does an all-day drop-in & knit on Tuesdays; the other was a couple of doors down from the restaurant. I also told her about a couple of places in the next town, and she told me about one she'd found that I wasn't familiar with. (Later, as we were going to our car, I saw her walking out of the shop two doors away.)

The conversation prompted my husband to ask if these sorts of conversations happened a lot, & if they were all this nice. I told him that I've heard of other people's experiences that weren't quite so pleasant. And then I said I'd have to share it here! :rofling:
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (05-21-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
letah75
Working the Gusset

On Sundays my girlfriends who knit and I try....I repeat try....to get together and knit at the local tea shop. Well they closed early yesterday, so we went to one of the coffee shops downtown. We saw this lady sitting there packing up her knitting. I went up and asked her what she was making. She looked up and very patiently showed us the shawl she was making. I started asking a few questions, then she noticed my knitting bag, and her animation level went up about 3 fold.

Well, we ended up talking, she invited us to sit down, she took her knitting back out, and she sat and knitted with us for an hour until the shop closed. It was pretty cool....I also told her about KH and all the wonderful people on this site.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to letah75 For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (05-21-2007)
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
What wonderful stories! Thanks for sharing them!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
marykz
Working the Gusset

I like hearing nice stories- I was making washcloths the other day, and many people asked about them, but were so disappointed when I said I was making dishcloths. Not exciting enough, I guess... One person was totally astonished that anyone would consider doing that- since they are so cheap at KMArt... needless to say, I'm not making them for HER!

I did see some lovely handknitting for sale at a local festival this weekend- but since I wasn't buying I didn't want to take up too much of her time at the booth. very nice kid sweaters and afghans.

the woman I bought a necklace from was telling me how she and her daughter do the beading and how therapeutic it is for both of them. I told her I thought the same way about knitting- and she said- Oh- I knit too! and we had a nice little chat...

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Braden
Instepping Out

Well, I was sitting and knitting at the nursing home where my mother works and I met this nice lady who knits and we just sat and knitted and talked for hours. We talked about yarn, needles (the Options and Addis are her favorites, too) And since then, whenever I go in there, I bring my knitting and we always talk, work on our projects, etc.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Green Eyed Knitter
Casting On

Saturday night I went out to eat with DH and DS and I brought my knitting to work on while we waited for a table. DH and DS were next to me on a bench playing their handheld video games. A little boy of about 5 came out ahead of his family and was looking intently at us - I assumed he was watching the guys play. We said "Hi" and then his mom came out and he whispered something to her and she answered "Yep, she's knitting just like we do". Unfortunately, they buzzed us that our table was ready at that moment so I didn't get to chat with them, but I thought it was cool that he was looking at the knitting and not the Gameboys. :rofling:
Green Eyed Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Fraggle
Ribbing the Cuff

I was in my Dr's office the other day and working on a baby blanket (pink, fluffy yarn) that I am making to raffle off. A woman sat down next to me and politely asked what I was making to which my response was a blanket. She then asked me why I was making the blanket and I explained that it was for a raffle. She admired it a little bit more and told me the work was beautiful before going off to here appointment. Never once did she assume that I was only knitting because I was pregnant. I was so happy not to have the stereotyped KIP experience that I couldn't help but smile the rest of the day.

Fraggle's Corner on KH:
My KH blog where I'm a little more detailed about myself than on my first blog

For Me?! Knit-a-long:
Small little KAL that I am running
Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
I was in my Dr's office the other day and working on a baby blanket (pink, fluffy yarn) that I am making to raffle off. A woman sat down next to me and politely asked what I was making to which my response was a blanket. She then asked me why I was making the blanket and I explained that it was for a raffle. She admired it a little bit more and told me the work was beautiful before going off to here appointment. Never once did she assume that I was only knitting because I was pregnant. I was so happy not to have the stereotyped KIP experience that I couldn't help but smile the rest of the day.
lol, i think when i am older (and married) and i am pregnant i will deliberately try NOT to KIP just so i dont contribute to the stereotype :rofling:

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
I knit everywhere... it's a given.. I was standing in line at the DMV.. but I was prepared.. pink scarf to donate for breast cancer awareness. I didn't really pay attention. just simple pattern., a few yo, and k2's and I was patiently waiting..

A woman came back by and asked how I kept the stitches loose on my needle. I showed her how to not overtighten.. she watched for a few minutes.. and then asked why we have a tendency to overtighten.. I said.. who know.. maybe as we get older we try to hold on to things.. ( AS A JOKE!) Well, she took it wrong.. stated she knew when to let things go and stormed out!,lol I tried to apologize but she left.

A few of the others standing in line (men & women) all lol and stated something to the affect... of stubborn.. ( I'm in Missouri.. we're known to be stubborn as a mule) I simply stated I was trying to add some humor.

An older gentleman came up to me.. and thanked me. I smiled and asked what I had did.. He simply stated "You reminded me of my Mother, never wasted time when she could be doing something".. smiled.. and walked off.

OK.. yes.. I started the tears... and wiped them away. Amazing how knitting can invoke such strong emotions.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowbear For This Useful Post:
PaperGirl (05-22-2007)
Old 05-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
misha rf

Snowbear, that story has such a lovely ending! Now I'm all teary...(blasted hormones!!)

And thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories! Now I have other postive KIP tales to tell my husband!