Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
strawberry
Ribbing the Cuff

figuring out a pattern
I'm stuck on a basic shell. Front of shell reads- With right (knit) side of work facing you, slip the front sts on to larger needle. Place a safety pin marker as needed. Which I did)

Rejoin yarn to right edge of left front, k1,ssk, k to within 3 sts of end of row, k2 tog, k row. This is the front - back in completed.

What exactly does that mean?

I'm confused!

Strawberry
I knitted a babies hat from Cottage Industry, the pattern is sweetpea baby set, but I need to knit something called 'monk's cord' which attaches/sewn to the corners of the hat. My question is What is Monk's Cord/how is this knitted?
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think they're saying that the right edge of the work as it's facing you is the left side of the front of the shell. You should start knitting there. It makes sense since you're decreasing at each edge.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

figuring out a pattern
Hi,
I think this is a case of mirror imaging verbiage. Think of looking at the shell as if it was a person you were facing and or looking at, there left would be your right and vice versa. The instructions want you to pick up knitting at what would be your right, but the shell's (or person's) left. Hope I haven't added to you confusion.
Katrina
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #4
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Yes, when it says left front, it's definitely talking about the left if you were wearing the garment. When it says to start at the right edge of left front, I assume it's talking about the right edge of the left front piece. This is where it gets confusing for me--the right edge as you wear it, or the right edge if you're holding the piece?

If I'm holding the left front piece in my hands, with the right side facing me and the wrong side on my lap, then the "right edge" of the piece is the shoulder edge. That's where I would start knitting. Usually they use "neck edge" and "shoulder edge" to avoid such confusion. Without knowing what the rest of your instructions say, it's hard to tell, though.

My brain isn't functioning well enough to really dissect the other replies, so if that's a rehash of what was already said, forgive me! I hope we aren't all confusing the heck out of you! Honestly, the best thing you could do to get help that isn't just confusing is to give us more of the pattern, or a link to it.
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote