Old 05-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

beach towels?
I have finnaly decided what i want to make my brother and his partner as wedding gifts!!

It turns out they are going to Jamaica for their honeymoon, so i would love to make them a beach towel each. only thing is the only towel patterns i can find are for teatowels - and i think my brother would like a bit more modesty than that!

Do you know any beach towel patterns that i could have a go at? or even suggest what type of yarn would be good to use so i can just dive right in and make up as i go along? (can you imagaine settling down for some sea and sand and finding that your towl had shrunk and felted into a nice little floor mat :rofling

Thank you in advance

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

You are brave!!! Beach towels are a great undertaking, but they will be fabulous!

I would suggest cotton yarn would be the best to choose. Sugar and Creme is a good, inexpensive yarn (since you'll need so much). I believe Lion Brand also has a cotton yarn.

I couldn't find any patterns for a beach towel either, but what you could do is find either a dishtowel pattern or a stitch pattern that you like and just go from there! If you do a small swatch to find stitches per inch you could do the math to figure out how many stitches to cast on and how many rows to knit.

Good luck! We are here if you need any more help!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
BioTherapy
Ribbing the Cuff

I know from sewing that the best beach towels are 4foot by 6foot... So if you know your stitches per inch you can do anything...

http://biotherapy1984.blogspot.com/
BioTherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
You're going to KNIT them beach towels? I have no experience with anything this large, but you might consider a narrower version of an afghan pattern. Something that large will stretch especially when wet and any holes/eyelets will get larger. Something to keep in mind. Also since they would have to pack them you'd probably want something that isn't too bulky.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote