Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

OT: Need to buy a Quilt
Anyone have any idea where I can buy a halfway decent quilt for our bed? I bought one from Target for $85.00 and just washed it today and the stuffing came out of it and looked terrible so I took it back tonight and now I'm going nuts trying to find something to put on our bed.

I want something feminine, yet masculine too. Not too froo-froo, but not a mans bedding either, a nice compromise if you will.

And affordable. I want to spend less than $100.00, so we're not talking Amish quilts here, just a nice quilt for the summer months. I haven't gotten any new bedding in about 10 years so I thought I'd splurge this summer!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:19 AM   #2
Jessica Cobb
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Jessica Cobb
I've been eyeing this quilt at urban outfitters forever. I'm not sure if the quality would be any better than Target though, I haven't actually seen it in person.

Jessica Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

Do you have a Cracker Barrel near by? I saw some really pretty quilts in the store just last week. They were about $100 each.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
JudyD
Turning the Heel

You might want to take a look at the L. L. Bean quilts. There's the Flying Geese (multicolor) pattern, Blue Star, and Green star for $149.00. There's is also a pickstitch quilt (3 or 4 solid colors) for $99.00. There are a couple of others for a bit more. Bean's is great when it comes to replacement or returns so if you're not happy with the quality you can return it...even if you've had it for a while, washed it, or whatever. The price may be a bit more than you have in mind but over the long haul it's a good investment. I've had one of their quilts on our bed for over 10 years and it's still in very good condition after multiple washings (I would not buy a quilt that has to be dry cleaned!)

A couple of years ago I had to return a slew of Christmas gifts to Bean's because one of my daughters and her husband split up just after Thanksgiving. I'm an early shopper so I had all his gifts way before Thanksgiving. I put off going to Freeport until mid-February because I just dreaded the thought of having to return that many gifts. The clerk couldn't have been nicer. She needed a reason for the returns so I told her my SIL had left the family. She said she didn't have that for a reason on the list. Then she said, "how about did not perform as expected?" I said, "That too!"

JudyD
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Judy,
The customer service is fantastic isn't it.. and the sense of humor does not hurt either.

Bailsmom - I agree http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=47436&sc1=Search&feat=sr
this is one example.
anne
On the Hook:

Shawl
Reading:
"Echo in Bone" by Dianna Gabaldon
Listening in the Car:
"Though Not Dead: Kate Shugak Series Book 18" byDana Stabenow
Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
kristinw
Turning the Heel

I got a nice one at Linens n Things a few years ago. It has held up very well. I'm pretty sure the brand is Nautica. It has gone through many washes and it is perfect for year round.

My knitting blog: The Knit of It

I'm kristin on
kristinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
marykz
Working the Gusset

LL Bean's bedding holds up really well and isn't outrageously priced. I love their egyptian cotton towels. they are soft and wear like a champ.

I've had good luck also with the higher end quilts from Bed Bath and Beyond. Not the cheap "clearance" ones, but their regular ones usually between $75 and $125. Plus they have 20%off coupons all the time. (Linens N things is similar.)

You may also want to check out Sears. My daughter's quilt is from there and has been washed at least 10 times since we got it. the padding inside has bunched a little at the corners, but it has an open channel design, so we sort of figured that would happen. Sears has the bedding by Ty Pennington which is definitely not girly.

good luck!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Originally Posted by Stonington View Post
Judy,
The customer service is fantastic isn't it.. and the sense of humor does not hurt either.

Bailsmom - I agree http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=47436&sc1=Search&feat=sr
this is one example.
anne
Bean does have great customer service....you can return anything very easily. I really like the quilt Stonington linked in the green color...very pretty!
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #9
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

OMG!!! You guys/gals are so great!! Thank you so much for the LL Bean suggestion, I would never have in a million years thought to go look at them.

No, we don't have a Cracker Barrel "near" us. Maybe 50 minutes away. Too far for me!

I tried Kohls last night online and saw a cute one, but want to see if I can see it in the store before paying for shipping.

Oh, and the Linens n Things too, I just got a 20% off coupon the other day!! Maybe I'll find something tonight.

Thanks again so much, this has been just such a headache trying to find the "perfect" one that we'll both like equally well....

Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

There's a great promotion going on right now on eBay. The quilts start bids at $150 but you're guaranteed a one-of-a-kind quilt AND help a good cause at the same time.

Type in "charity quilt pink" for search on eBay.