Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

Hello there!!
Hello, everyone. It's been a long time since I've visited this forum (about a year?). I haven't been able to knit for about a year now. I finished a sweater last summer, and then quit. The pain was too much for me. My right hand still hurts a lot (especially when I use the computer!). The doctor told me it's probably not carpel tunnel, but whatever it is, it's terrible. I had to quit all needlework. I really miss my knitting, and I'd like to return to it. I tried a bit the other day and, by holding the right needle gently and lightly, it wasn't too bad. Of course, that was just for a few minutes. Any advice from other knitters would be greatly appreciated... Anyway, I look forward to knitting again, and to this fun forum. Wish me luck!!!
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

I use Thera-Gloves. The gloves keep my hands warm and they don't cramp or get sore any more. hare is a link to a site that sells them.

http://www.alimed.com/Products.asp?c...Wrist+Supports

I'm not endorsing this brand. I'm sure that there are more on the market. I hope that this helps.

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
marykz
Working the Gusset

I would agree with dreamshirl- there are lots of flavors of wrist supports out there, from mild support to full on immobilization. Several kinds can be purchased at the local drugstore/ walmart type. the heavy-duty ones can be found at medical supply stores. I have 2 kinds of braces I used- one a very light support that is like an ace bandage around the wrist. I can still move the hand all around, but it supports the wrist. I also have braces that immobilize the wrist, but the fingers are still free. they take a little getting used to while knitting, but they have helped me a lot.

With your injury- did you do any physical therapy or exercises? my PT helped me pick out the right braces for my hands after my wrist injury. (also computer related but not carpal tunnel.) you may have to build up your "knitting muscles" again before you really feel comfortable. I would suggest just doing a little at a time.

Also-pick the right project and needles for your hands. I don't do well with itty bitty needles, or huge ones. 8-10 (US) are the most comfortable for me. when I ache I don't work on heavy or bulky projects that cause more strain on the needles/hands.

hang in there and I'm glad you are back- MKZ

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
There are other ways to knit that don't involve putting strain on your wrists.

Using looms, like the Knifty Knitter (www.provocraft.com) or the Authentic Knitting Board (http://www.knittingboard.com/), or using a knitting machine. There are many types of knitting machines, and some good deals for used ones are always available on sites like eBay.

Don't go without your knitting! The Provocraft and Knitting Board sites have "how-to" videos, so that you can see how they work before you make a decision.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brownishcoat For This Useful Post:
marykz (05-24-2007)
Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Do you do the throw method or continental? I find the throw method strains my hands more. The continental keeps all fingers moving and I think is better against the carpal tunnel. I hope you get back to knitting. I'm addicted, I can't imagine NOT being able to knit!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried a wrist support, but to no avail. The pain is in my hand, actually, not my wrist. I am trying some exersices and stretches (if only I can remember to do them regularly!). I use the throw method, Arielluria, and I absolutely cannot knit the other way. (How on Earth do you do that!?!)
Hopefully, by taking breaks and exersicing, I'll be able to reclaim my cherished hobby. Thanks again.
MKZ, we share the same initials!
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
chan58
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Kayeknit: It has been a while for me too, been busy but still knitting. Hope your hand heals soon and you can get back to knitting up a storm!!! Good Luck!!
Diane

chan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
Arielluria
Instepping Out

The continental method is EASIER, I can't do the throw method! There is a video here on KH, check it out.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
marykz
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kayeknit View Post
MKZ, we share the same initials!
How funny!!! I rarely encounter anyone with a "z".

hope you find something that works for you! MKZ

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote