Old 05-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Simone
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Simone Send a message via Yahoo to Simone Send a message via Skype™ to Simone
work curling around needle
Hey Guys

Everytime I seem to transfer the worked stitches to the right needle, by the time I'm done, my work has curled around the needle like a snake and at times seems so tight even though I have tried to loosen up the tension somewhat. Any tips how to avoid it curling like that around the needle?

OTN: Julie H. Levy GAAA Square And Slouchy Beret
Future Project: GAAA
Finished: Slippers, Purse, Baby Blanket, Wrist Warmers, Hat, Scarf, Tri-colored scarf, Cowl/Hood, Hat.

Simone is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Hi..I've never really had this problem until recently when I made a bag but was using the incorrect yarn. Even though the work itself was quite loose the stitches on the needle were tight. So, I had wrong yarn with wrong size needles. In that case it didn't matter but I'm wondering whether you are getting the gauge you hoped to get? If so, I'm not sure you can really do anything apart from being patient until the knitting lengthens. Will be interesting to see if others can offer suggestions. If the gauge isn't right and the knitting is super tight then perhaps you can need to re-do on a bigger needle??
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Are you sure you're not twisting your stitches?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
In my experience this is most likely to happen when you are doing are doing stockinette and if you only have a few rows. Once you have some weight on the yarn it won't be able to curl around as easy.

It could also be the movement of your hands touching the yarn that is subtly twisting it, but again that should end when the yarn has enough weight to it by adding rows.

I could be wrong in this case, but that's my thoughts on it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Simone (05-27-2007)
Old 05-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Simone
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Simone Send a message via Yahoo to Simone Send a message via Skype™ to Simone
It could be me....I'll try to be more cautious and see if maybe it's my hand placement...?

OTN: Julie H. Levy GAAA Square And Slouchy Beret
Future Project: GAAA
Finished: Slippers, Purse, Baby Blanket, Wrist Warmers, Hat, Scarf, Tri-colored scarf, Cowl/Hood, Hat.

Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
redwitch
Working the Gusset

It might be a hand movement of your own but in my experience that's kind of what knitting does. We're talking about a kind of spiral around the needle like red stripes on a candy cane right? I find this is only significant in the cast on row... but nearly always occurs in the caston rows. And the first few rows, if knitting flat. I think it's just what stitches do because of the distribution of tension in certain directions, kind of like stocking stitch curling. That's just what it does.
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote