Old 05-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
momtoKs
Casting On

Problem putting holes in knitting in the round
Hey all. Trying to make a soaker for my DD. KNitted in the round, calls for 17 sts to be placed on stitch holder and then knit back and forth decreasing at beg and end of every other row to 17 sts. THe problem is, I placed 17 sts btu now I can't figure out how to keep knitting without it still essentially being in the round and my 2 LYSs are closed until Tuesday Anyone got ideas?
momtoKs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You're going to be knitting on the 17sts, or the rest of them? Either way, you knit across the stitches, then turn and knit back like you're knitting flat.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
stargazingchild
Ribbing the Cuff

If it is easier to make you figure out, take the remaining stitches and transfer them all to a straight needle if possible. You can then work back and forth on them, decreaisng as indicated.

Having not been in your situation, I'm not sure if you can stay on the circulars and simply work back and forth. You'd have to use the circulars as if you were doing back and forth knitting, and I'm having trouble picturing the situation and seeing how the manoever the needles and tube of fabric for this.

Originally Posted by momtoKs View Post
Hey all. Trying to make a soaker for my DD. KNitted in the round, calls for 17 sts to be placed on stitch holder and then knit back and forth decreasing at beg and end of every other row to 17 sts. THe problem is, I placed 17 sts btu now I can't figure out how to keep knitting without it still essentially being in the round and my 2 LYSs are closed until Tuesday Anyone got ideas?
stargazingchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,743 Times in 7,115 Posts
You will be knitting the part on the needles FLAT like when you are not knitting in the round. You will need to purl the back side to continue in stockinette.

I don't know the pattern, but most likely when you finish that side you will be putting it on a holder or binding off and then you will slip the stitches from the holder onto the needles again and knitting flat for that side the same way.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
zip

Are you using the punk knitter pattern? I'm in the middle of making a second one.

The step you've reached is the legholes. Put the 17 stitches on a stitch holder and just leave them there. You're finished with working in the round. Work the remaining stitches back and forth as though they're on straight needles. You'll decrease until you have 17 stitches, which you'll then attach to the 17 on the holder, using kitchener stitch.

Does that help? It's the coolest thing to make!