Old 05-28-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
pointy_teeth
Ribbing the Cuff

How to make rounded corners?
I hope someone can help me.
Is it possible to knit a rounded corner without felting the object? I see knitted bags with flaps that have rounded corners/edges but they are usually felted. I'm guessing the felting makes it rounded?
Does anyone know how to do this? I'm assuming it is done by decreasing(or increasing) sts. Thanks in advance.

(The thing is, I wanted to try making up a pattern for a bag with flaps. Nothing too fancy, maybe with cables, if I felt it you won't see the cables.)
pointy_teeth is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I just found a LWS (yay!) and saw a cute knitted handbag, not felted, but the edges were more rounded, so obviously it can be done. I understand that when you get to a corner, normally you increase twice every round to make sharp right-angle corners? I imagine that once you were almost finished, you would spend the next few rounds increasing only once or not at all, that would make a nice curve I think. Although someone else will certainly know, I might swatch some curves I think!

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
pointy_teeth (05-30-2007)
Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
pointy_teeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for your post, Sarah. I hope someone else out there knows of a way to do it. I too will try knitting some sample swatches. This bag from Berroco has rounded corners but involves picking up stitches around it. This snowflake pattern is more of how I want the corners to look like.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

What a cool pattern! Can you not use the same construction used in the pattern? What do you want to make?
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
Jints
Turning the Heel

Quote:
I'm assuming it is done by decreasing(or increasing) sts.
Yes thats it.
Basically you will cut the corner off a square to get a round edge. And adding the edge or side gusset to it will give it a more rounded look.
Otherwise you can use graph paper to work it out more exactly.
(See link)
http://www.thedietdiary.com/knitting...tersGraph.html

Do a swatch to get guage and Calculate your required finished dimensions for bag in rows and stitches. (doesn’t have to be 100% exact) Draw that onto the graph and sketch in the curve you want. This will show on the graph where you need to add or delete stitches/squares to get shape you want.

I hope this makes sense.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
marykz
Working the Gusset

(or you could "cheat" and crochet around the flap to make the rounded corner... ) but it won't look exactly like the pattern you showed.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #7
pointy_teeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks!
Thanks to everyone who responded. I know rounded corners are easy to do from a sort of flat piece coming to a single point by decreasing a stitch on both sides. Does that make sense? Like if I were to do a flap that looks like an envelope flap.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself by wanting to make my own pattern?

Sarah (redwitch): Thanks for the advice. I do really like the bag in the link. I've never tried Fair Isle knitting, so I might try the bag fair isle or just with a single color and learn the shaping techniques used.

Jints: Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to use charts... yet... :-(

marykz: Yes, why didn't I think of that? Definitely! If everything else I try fails...