Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Sand Lapper
Casting On

Help with pattern
I hope I am in the right place to get help (I am new to this)

I am trying my hand at knitting a sweater knitted in the round (my first for both). I found a pattern on knitty.com named Bad Penny. This appeared to be rather simple and one I could do as a first. However, when I started I am having difficulty understanding the pattern. The first round reads: "join, pm, k 20 (for my size) pm K 50 pm k 20 pm k 50 pm. The first increase round is "K all sts" Inc round 2 reads: K to 1 st before marker, yo, slip marker, k1, yo. When I do this I end up with the marker wraped in the yarn, and it is stationary. I am trying it by knitting to 1 st before marker doing a yo - k'ing the 1 st and then the other yo. It appears to be doing what it is suppose to do But the pattern continues to read: Repeat these 2 inc round 19 more times. You will have 60 st per sleeve and 90 st per body half - 300 sts total. If I have a marker for the sleeve with 20 sts and do only 2 yo every other row, how will I get the 40 sts needed to make the 60 I am to end with at the end of the repeat (as well as the other extra stitches for the body). I thought I understood the pattern, but when I try doing it i am not getting it. Can anyone clear this up in very simple terms?? I emailed the site for the designer, but have not hear anything. ANY assistance will be greatly appreaciated. Thanks
Sand Lapper is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You should be using markers that go around your needles, not attach to the yarn. To slip marker is to slide it from one needle to another. The first one is like that too; it marks the beginning of each round. You're adding 2 sts for 20 rows total (the first time and 19 more) which is your 40 sts.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote