Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
jennyanne
Casting On

when i turn the yarn is on the wrong side to continue
I'm making gloves and I'v done the thumb gusset and am now on a knit row (im doing stocking stitch). It says knit 32, which i have done, and then 'turn'. i know this means turn your knitting round and continue but surely if you just turn it round then the yarn is coming out of the front of your knitting but on the wrong needle? the next step is to cast on 2 sts using cable cast on and then continue purling, so i need the yarn coming out of the right hand needle... confused....
jennyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When you turn in circular knitting, you are really working those stitches back and forth, so you would be purling after the turn. The yarn will be on the right needle, and you would treat the two needles in your hands as two straights.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
jennyanne
Casting On

im not doing circular knitting its a pattern for just two straight needles. im really stuck it says:

next row: K32 and turn (so iv done that and have turned my knitting round)

next row: cast on 2 sts using cable cast on and p14

and thats where i get stuck because to cast on with cable cast on i need the yarn coming from the right needle but its not its from the left needle....
Old 05-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If your yarn is on the left needle, you can do the cast on. When you do the cable or knit cast on, you do it on the left needle. Once you cast the stitches on, then purl them with the rest of the stitches.

Check out Amy's video on cast ons and you'll see what I mean.

If all else fails, turn your needle around, cast on two and then turn it back.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
jennyanne
Casting On

okay thanks! iv done it and it seems to be going okay so far.... fingers crossed!