Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

OT: Embroidery computer application?
Would anyone out there happen to have one of those computer application programs that can take an image and create a graph from the same for cross stitch embroidery? If so, I'll like to have a word off list if I may.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Quick bump up as this disappeared so quickly. Just in case none of you know about this application..a neighbour where I used to live had it and you can put any image in..anything..person..animal and so on..and the program converts it to a graph. You then can take that graph and use it to make a cross stitch (because the graph will 'map out' all the different colour areas and so on for threads) but you can also use it to embroider and I dare say make knitting patterning from. If I recall it wasn't that expensive so I might look at a purchase. She used to win prizes for her fine cross stitch work and made some very original items by using her own images and the computer application.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Jints
Turning the Heel

I have PC Stitch 5, (pcstitch 7 is now out) & have produced only one stitched original piece, using it.
What do you want to know?
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Do the programs cope well with complex images. Let's say it was a wedding picture with confetti being thrown and the colours were not very distinct in sections...how do you believe it would cope?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Jints
Turning the Heel

Images stored in the computer have been converted to pixels. The programs work by converting the pixels in the image to squares. The better the image you start with, i.e. the number of pixels per cm, the better chance of good conversion to cross stitch.
The problem I always have is to keep the fine details that make a good picture you usually, in converting it, end up with a chart so huge and with so many colours you would never want to stitch it.
So you reduce the size and number of colours to make it manageable and also loose the quality and detail. (It goes blurry)
Check out this on line program. To see what I mean. http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/
Put the picture in at the different grid sizes and see how it changes.
The highest at 120 x 160 for a picture like you want, is probably not big enough.
So yes it can be done but I got frustrated with the results I got. The one I ended up doing was a sepia photo I converted (less colours) and the result is lovely but much of the finer details had to be sacrificed to get it.
Also a simpler image will get better peice to stitch. Like a closeup portrait of just faces.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jints For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (06-01-2007)
Old 06-01-2007, 02:16 AM   #6
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I'll take a look and experiment and comment later but thanks!