Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
sbean
Casting On

Left Handed Knitter
Hi,
This web site and knitting newbie here. It looks like I can learn to knit with these videos. How cool!
I'm a long time crocheter and a left-hander. With crochet I hold my hook in my left hand and the yarn in my right hand. Would that be the same for knitting?
sbean is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
mum2caden
1st Leg of the Journey

I am a lefty too, and after trying all through my teens and early twenties, I finally figured out how to knit just after my 26th bithday.. with KH's videos. They are the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me..because everyone who tried to show me was either right handed, or were left handed, but just didn't knit that well themselves- so couldn't show me.

I think with knitting, it still manages to work out okay for a lefty to knit like a right handed person would- because you have to use both hands no matter what. But then, I am a yarn "thrower" or "wrapper" because my right hand isn't able to hold the yarn the way Amy does with her fingers of her right hand.

It's just another thing that we have to adapt to as lefties! lol
mum2caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Ayla
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Ayla Send a message via Yahoo to Ayla
Left handed knitting
I am left handed too and I hold my yarn in my left hand and have the stitches going from right needle to left needle. I have tried knitting right handed and I couldnt do it..hey at least I tried. I think that with knitting you have to experiment expecially when you are left handed because most things are written for right handed people. I do notice that I have to flip instructions the way I knit so if you do not mind having to reverse a few things you can knit with your left hand. Hope that helps.
~Ayla
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You can knit the standard English way, remember that it will feel strange to start with regardless of your handedness. If you really must hold the wool in your left hand I suggest knit Continental, knitting in mirror-image will create problems with following instructions for RH knitting. I am very strongly left-handed and knit both English and Continental with no problems.
Sarah
P.S. if anyone wants to know where to download a free programme that changes your mouse buttons so you can put it on your left side, let me know I will post it, if you have a RH person using the computer they change the buttons back and forth fast and easy by pressing just Ctrl and F12
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Sbean, I am very left-handed, and was able to learn to knit in Continental style from the videos here. You do everything just like normal, as far as what you do with the left needle and right needle, but you are holding the yarn in your left hand. Watch the "Continental Method" and "English Method" videos here (under "Basic Techniques" and then "Knit") and you can decide.

Originally Posted by mum2caden View Post
I am a lefty too, and after trying all through my teens and early twenties, I finally figured out how to knit just after my 26th bithday.. with KH's videos. They are the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me..because everyone who tried to show me was either right handed, or were left handed, but just didn't knit that well themselves- so couldn't show me.

I think with knitting, it still manages to work out okay for a lefty to knit like a right handed person would- because you have to use both hands no matter what. But then, I am a yarn "thrower" or "wrapper" because my right hand isn't able to hold the yarn the way Amy does with her fingers of her right hand.

It's just another thing that we have to adapt to as lefties! lol

Your story is identical to mine! All the knitting books I'd picked up from the library in the past made no mention of Continental style and said that I should learn to knit mirror image and adjust all my patterns. I could not get the hang of English knitting. There was just too much to coordinate with my right hand. With KH's videos, I was able to learn!

And I am a wrapper too.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
mum2caden
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh, I know-- that is why it took me so long to learn how. you really think that because everyone tells you to do the mirror image thing, that it must be the only way a lefty CAN knit. Trying to do mirror image made it even more difficult, and then you just give up.
mum2caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by mum2caden View Post
Oh, I know-- that is why it took me so long to learn how. you really think that because everyone tells you to do the mirror image thing, that it must be the only way a lefty CAN knit. Trying to do mirror image made it even more difficult, and then you just give up.

Yes, that's what happened to me. I have been looking at knitting books on and off for many years, unable to "get" English knitting and unwilling to modify everything I knit to be mirror image.

I can learn to do things right handed if I have to (I use the mouse right-handed), but usually alter other things when I can. I drive with two feet because I am too slow in moving my right foot over to the brake. I have lived in my house for over a year now and still can't remember if the key turns to the left or the right when I am unlocking the front door. :rollseyes:

Anyway, holding the yarn in my left hand was the answer for me.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Remember lefty loosy, righty tighty for locks, screws, etc.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Remember lefty loosy, righty tighty for locks, screws, etc.
Must remember that one! I have always had difficulty telling left from right. For about ten years I was able to do so by thinking,
"the left hand is the one with the wedding ring."
Then I got divorced.
Back to square one.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #10
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Put your hands down flat in front of you with the thumbs sticking as far out as you can. Your left hand makes an L shape - L for left! -(the thumb is the horizontal bar of the L), the right hand L is backwards.
(For lefties, works better than the old way 'the RIGHT hand is the one you WRITE with, and the one that's left is your left hand'!)
Anna, I don't think the problems you described are exclusive to lefties.

As an aside, I need to say to anyone working with lefties especially children please be understanding of the fact that many things in their life are actually right-handed! Left-handed children are often dismissed as clumsy because of this. E.g. some scissors are described as 'either left- or right-handed' meaning that the handles are symmetrical. In those cases the blades are still right-handed and this is why people have such problems, but kids sometimes get report cards saying 'needs to work on fine motor skills' because of this, and smudging their writing because their teachers did not show them how lefty kids need to write differently when learning to write. These teachers often don't believe that there is actually a problem but when you are right-handed you think things work a certain way naturally when they are actually geared specifically toward lefties. Most bread knives are sided, guess for which hand - yep dexies!

Sarah