Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
OT - Carpal Tunnel Bruising?
I know there's a good amount of nurses here and considering we're knitters and crocheters, I'm sure a lot of us have felt the pains of carpal tunnel.

Alright. I have early stages of carpal tunnel. Depending on the difficulty of my work, I can do about 1 hour of knitting before I start feeling strain. I try to pace myself as much as I can and take frequent breaks between rows.

Last week I took a break from knitting to work on a couple of ideas I had for knitting bags. I made three. I felt much a lot of strain on both wrists but I just wanted to get the things done.

Finished my last bag last night, and stupid me, started knitting something. I had to abandong it after 5 rows due to the pain in my wrists.

Went to bed, did my grocery shopping this morning, watched some tv, futzzed about with the computer and about two hours ago, I sat down to knit again. I didn't feel any strain for a while.

Then I look down and notice that in my right forearm, right below the wrist, there's a bruise. It's about 2 inches long and between half and 3/4 in. thick. It wasn't there yesterday.
It was greenish. I stopped the knitting and refrained from doing much handy work and now, two hours later, the bottom of the bruise is already turning a reddish brown. It's slightly tender.

I'm not a "bruiser". It usually takes about a week for bruises to show up on me, so this one startled me.

I was looking up information on sprains, strains and bruising and found this article on hand and wrist injuries.

Has anyone have that happen before?
I didn't hit my arm anywhere, so my only guess is that the bruise came around from the strain. Can this be?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I don't have bruising, but I have been having trouble with my thumb area and I "diagnosed" myself with carpel tunnel or at least early stages. I find though that the computer seems to be worse for it than knitting. I'll be watching this thread..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
DianaM
Turning the Heel

I too, sort of self-diagnosed. The diagnosis was confirmed by a chiropractor, who said that the 8 bones in my wrist where having a lot of friction and the pain was beginning to shoot up my arms.

I was advised to learn to read the signs of strain and stop/change activities as soon as they appeared (which I didn't do during the sewing spree, hehe).

I was also told that sleeping while wearing wrist braces would help. Apparently one usually curls up their hands in a gnarly position while sleeping. Wearing the braces helps the wrist stay flat and reduce the strain. They are very uncomfortable at first, but you get used to them.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I haven't seen bruising, but my wrist have many times felt bruised right under that funny sort of bump you have on the outside of your wrists. KWIM? i have some wrist splints that I wore for a while at night as a pal told me she wore hers day and night and felt her wrists were weakened when she took them off. I think i trimmed the straps to short because as i got used to using the splints, i think i had them too snug and now they sort of really press into the meaty part under my thumbs during the night and make them numb, which defeats the purpose i notice that computer work makes it worse, gawd i don't wanna blame the knitting but the two together can't be good. it seems less bothersome since i changed jobs because my keying seems to be of a different pace, variety if that makes any sense. i notice i get more numb if i knit in the car or in a stiffer chair, I think because I am sitting such that I hold my hands up higher. it happens sometimes when i blowdry my hair too.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by HanAku View Post
Apparently one usually curls up their hands in a gnarly position while sleeping.
I catch myself doing that, too. A long time ago I had to wear a brace at night and now I'm very aware of it. I may do it while sleeping though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
debb
Knitting the Flap

I had carpal tunnel so bad that my hands (yes, both) were going numb frequently, often waking me up at night. I wasn't a knitter until well into the problem, so can't offer any advice there.

My understanding of it is that the nerve that goes through the carpal tunnel into your hand starts pressing against the tendon in your wrist which causes the tingling and numbness. I had the surgery that releases the tendon and thus the pressure on the nerve. No more pain and numbness

I went through the braces and the anti-infammatories but between my work and ever present computers (and the gnarly hands at night thing) it just progressed to the point of no return. No regrets on the surgery yet (almost 1 year now)
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #7
debinoz
Turning the Heel

When I was diagnosed with CTS I thought the doc was insane. No fancy medical testing, x-rays and such... just what she called a "carpal prayer test." You put your palms together like you're praying, close to your body, wrists level with elbows, and apply pressure for 15 seconds. When you release, if you have any tingling or loss of feeling in your fingertips, you have it..... or so she said.

Last edited by debinoz : 06-01-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: missed a word
debinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

RE: bruising - You know, I just thought of something. Like I said, I've been having problems with pain in the thumb pad area up into the wrist as well. I had this bruise on the back of my hand by the ring finger area. It was weird because it was quite bruised and I don't remember hitting anything and I thought at the time that with something that bruised I should certainly have remembered doing it. Now I'm wondering if this too isn't associated with the problem. Probably not, but it seems strange it came up as I'm having issues.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
DianaM
Turning the Heel

The more I think about it, the more I believe the bruise was a result of the strain. It's located at one of the points where I was having the most strain .

I think in the long run, I would consider the surgery. Would like to see the end of school before I do it though.

In terms of activities, crocheting hurts my hands more than knitting. I used to be able to whip up a blanket in no time, now it takes me about three months of doing a couple rows and dropping it for a couple days and so on. The pain won't let me continue.

Knitting I can usually do for an hour.
I'll probably remain away from the knitting for a week or so, to let my hands take a break.
Summer school starts monday, so that should give me something to distract myself with hehehehehehehe.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

My dh and I both have Carpal Tunnel and have been visiting an Orthopedic Surgeon when it acts up. Numb fingers and pain in the wrist. He puts a combination shot (to numb and reduce swelling) into the wrist near the pad of the hand. He does not recommend the surgery until the shot does not work any more. We are pain free from 6 months to 2 years. We both wear the brace at night when we first feel any discomfort. I can't give up my knitting or the computer. I have never had bruising though. Hope you get relief soon.
cindycactus is offline   Reply With Quote