Old 06-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Garter Stitch button band--seems too short
I'm making a vintage sailor collar sweater for my mom and the button band (placket, in sewing terms) is 4 stitches in garter stitch. The bottom 3" of the sweater is 1x1 rib and the rest (until the collar) is stockinette. The button band seems to be shorter than the rest. Is there a way to remedy this? I've been trying to knit these 4 sts VERY loosely, but the gauge still seems different--a bit short. Any advice?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
turtlegirl76
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to turtlegirl76
So, you're picking up stitches all along the edge for this button band and it kinda pulls in a bit so it's not even with the bottom? Is that what I'm understanding? Perhaps it's something that will even out a bit with blocking. Garter is going to have a different stitch than row gauge so it probably won't match up with the body straight off, but maybe once you wet it and let the yarn bloom and do it's thing it'll self-correct?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
G J
Instepping Out

I'm NOT picking up stitches. The 1st 4 stitches along the center front are Garter st. Then I knit the rest according to the pattern. The bottom 3" in 1X1 rib and the rest in Stockinette. Esp along the rib, the 4 stockinette stitches pull up and seem to be too tight.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Do you have an image you could show?

I'm also slightly confused BUT, could you change the knitting needle size up one and see if the stitches do sit better? I agree that blocking may correct but I have seen a few items made where that strip for the button seems shorter right near the bottom edge or hem of the garment and although on blocking I suspect it looked fine, when the garments were done up I think that lifted the band up.

So, bigger needle size at least for bottom few rows perhaps or, at the end, could you pick up stitches along the bottom edge and knit a few additional rows? That may show of course. Hmmm..
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
G J
Instepping Out

See pics. Does this help make it clear? INstructions said to knit rib with smaller needle. That's fine, but along the WHOLE center edge, the button band seems to be shorter than the rest. YOu can kind of see my lifeline just above the ribbing. IT's pulling up, even tho it's on the same row.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweaters 007.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	40228  Click image for larger version

Name:	Center edge at ribbing.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	40229  
Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Thanks for showing and taking the time with the pixs. Although I do believe blocking will correct much of that, I'd be tempted to go up half a size in my needles. I wish we could see images once we start to reply. I want to take another look.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Back..I wanted to look again as it struck me - which is really what you had said before - that the tightness is against the rib section rather than the stockinette. When I looked closely and enlarged the bottom pic you can see that your edging stitch is different in the rib than the stockinette and it may be this that is partly causing the issue.

What is the edge stitch on the rib section..as compared to the stockinette. I presume the latter is a knit. I thought both would be knit but they do look quite different (as may be apropos to rib style)

Again, I do think blocking will resolve quite a lot but it is bunching against the rib edge and I think trialing a little may help.

I would look at three options. Casting on with a half size needle up and work two rows and then resume recommended size. Or, perhaps changing the edge stitch against the rib section and/or adding fifth stitch to the bottom few rows or that rib section.

Have you enough yarn to make up a swatch and trial? The swatch would need both ribbing and stockinette section.

I hope one of the more experienced knitter will throw two cents in :-)
Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
G J
Instepping Out

It's the same K4 st on the center front all the way up, from ribbing to stockinette.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Being garter works up wider (in width) and short in depth/length than st st, you'll need to compensate by adding short rows every 4th/6th/8th row...whatever is needed...to match them in length.

cam
Susan P. (06-01-2007)
Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Hi..I was meaning the edge of the rib vs the edge of the stockinette. I clicked on your bottom image and you can see the edge of your rib is different than the edge of your stockinette. Thus, I posed that the four stitches MAY be sitting differently between the two sections given those edges are different. I would swatch it and see as suggested but you might just trust blocking or wait and see if one of the mods or more experienced knitters comments.

I just saw cam has posted and is making another suggestion for how to adjust.

Cam..isn't it the rib section that is really the problem area tho and not the stockinette?