Old 06-04-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
krause01
Casting On

Help with YFWD and YRN/knit into yrn
Hi,

I have been searching all over the net for answers but to no avail. I have finished a baby shawl and am up to the border - and am sooo frustrated as I have nobody that I know that knits to ask and this is my first project. Your help would be much appreciated!!!!

Starting with 14 sts

The first row reads: sl1, k2tog, yfwd, k1, yfwd, skpo, (k1,yfwd) twice, (k1, yfwd and k1) all into the next st, (yfwd, k1) twice, yfwd and yrn, k2 tog, k1

After I finish the row I should then have 21 sts - my question is does the yfwd and yrn part add one st or two. And does every yfwd add a stitch.

The next row has k2, k into yrn and P into yfwd of previous row, k1, p9, k1, p5, k1. What is K into yrn is that knitting into the back instead of the front? And what is Purl into yfwd? Is this pattern using different terminology to the norm? Is this row increasing any stitches?

Thanks so much!!! Sitting and waiting in anticipation!!!

Juliexx
krause01 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Since the yarn forwards are followed by knits, you will be adding stitches--essentially yo's. However, the k2togs decrease a stitch.

The yarn round needle comes after a yfwd at the end, and it's just wrapping the yarn around the needle again. It adds a stitch, but if you try to knit into both the yo and the yrn, I don't think it will work too well.

So on row 2, you'll k2, k into the yarn that just went around the needle and then purl into the yo stitch. This won't make any more stitches--it just works the ones you added on the last row.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote