Old 06-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Can you felt alpaca? Should I use a different yarn? (water bottle cozy)
Would you want to? I have a skein of chunky baby alpaca, and I have a 1qt water bottle that desperately needs a cozy (I take it everywhere, it's sweating and it's hard to attach to things). I'm thinking of knitting a cozy for this water bottle out of my skein of alpaca, because I only have the one skein and I got it on sale so I doubt I could get more of the same dye lot. Since the bottle is sweating, I am imagining that with use, the cozy will self-felt. Am I smoking crack? Should I do this with some acrylic-wool blend I have in my stash? The alpaca is SO much nicer to knit with and will be so much more friendly for carrying around, I should think.

Thoughts? Opinions? Curses?

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

Last edited by aylaanne : 06-04-2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: changing title
aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

You can only felt with 100% wool or alpaca etc (as far as I'm aware) tho I must admit I would reserve, even a skein, for a highlight on a scarf etc rather than a bottle cosy but that's entirely your choice of course :-) You would need to felt it as per usual felting techniques as you need hot water and agitation to felt.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
aylaanne (06-04-2007)
Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
You're right, I should really reserve the alpaca, but I figured it'd be more absorbent than anything else I have. I forgot about the cotton/silk blend I have laying around. I know this makes it seem like all my stash yarn is expensive, but truly it isn't. It's just that because summer is coming, I really don't want something that's going to be hot and scratchy to the touch, since I'll be touching it often (I drink upwards of 1.5 gallons of water a DAY). It also needs to be absorbent, so that the sweat from the bottle stops getting all over everything.

So now the question is, should I continue with my ONLY skein of alpaca, knowing I can NEVER get more in this color/weight/dyelot, or should I go with the cotton, which is a luxury cotton to be sure, but one I loved knitting with?

In the queue:
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
You can only felt with 100% wool or alpaca etc (as far as I'm aware)
Patons SWS felts like crazy and it's 70% wool, 30% soy.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SabrinaJL For This Useful Post:
aylaanne (06-04-2007), Susan P. (06-04-2007)
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Alpaca felts, though less stiffly than wool. I imagine that cotton would stretch when it got wet all the time, ya think?

If you want an alpaca cozy, I say go for it. At least you'll get to feel it all the time. I made a hat out of alpaca for my grandson and it got softer and softer throughout the winter.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
aylaanne (06-04-2007)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
marykz
Working the Gusset

what kind of pattern are you using for the bottle cozy? I'm an iced tea fanatic and it has to be COLD so the bottles (my refillable plastic ones) sweat like crazy and I hate it....

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
aylaanne (06-04-2007)
Old 06-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i say use the alpaca! you get to knit with great, soft yarn, then use it everyday! to me, that is better than a hat you can only wear when its cold enough. you can keep using your bottle cosy even in the winter with hot beverages to keep from touching too hot cups
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeanius80 For This Useful Post:
aylaanne (06-04-2007)
Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
beckyrhae
Turning the Heel

yes alpaca felts nicely... its "woolier" than just your normal wool.

This is a booga bag I made with Noro and ultra alpaca.

I picked up around the booga and made an i-cord detail with the ultra alpaca... I love it.

The alpaca felted much tighter than the noro so keep an eye on it when you felt it.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	booga felted.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	40339  Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1636.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	40340  

The Knitting Barista

The Sheeps Tale

KnittingBarista on Ravelry
beckyrhae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beckyrhae For This Useful Post:
aylaanne (06-04-2007)
Old 06-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
Alpaca felts, though less stiffly than wool. I imagine that cotton would stretch when it got wet all the time, ya think?

If you want an alpaca cozy, I say go for it. At least you'll get to feel it all the time. I made a hat out of alpaca for my grandson and it got softer and softer throughout the winter.
Thanks Ingrid. What happened to the sheep? I missed you. For the record, I'm not planning on felting it really tightly, more like a loose felt just to close up any holes and make it fit the bottle better.

Originally Posted by marykz View Post
what kind of pattern are you using for the bottle cozy? I'm an iced tea fanatic and it has to be COLD so the bottles (my refillable plastic ones) sweat like crazy and I hate it....
I have an oddly shaped bottle, it's really more of a pitcher. I got it at the grocery store, and it's a rubbermaid:

My cap is white, though (I like the red one better). Anyways, since it has a mostly rectangular base, I was figuring I'd do a more booga-bag type thing. I'm using 10 US needles and as I said, the yarn is bulky (Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky, gotten on Clearance at WEBS for some ridiculously low price) and I only have 108 yards of it. I'm getting about 3st to the inch. Since I'm going to felt it, I'm doing a garter stitch base of 15st x however many rows, and then I'll pick up stitches around the rectangle and knit in the round. I don't have enough for a swatch so I'm going to knit and felt and hope it works.

Thanks everyone for your input! If anyone has any other suggestions let me know!

In the queue:
, water bottle cozy

Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
feministmama
Instepping Out

a booga for your bottle! How cute is that! I say go for it.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feministmama For This Useful Post:
aylaanne (06-04-2007)