Old 06-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
mornnen
1st Leg of the Journey

Provisional cast on for knitting in the round
Hi Everybody--

I am getting ready to knit the harry potter scarf from atypically knit, and I have a question about the provisional cast on (I checked the thread below and it isn't answered in that one). Let's pretend that I succeed at Amy's version of it, or someone else's -- one that involves waste yarn and not a cable needle. Here are my questions
1) is it only for the 'using a cable needle' version that you have to worry about twisted stitches
2) when I am ready, how do it take out the waste yarn? In Amy's video it shows knotting the waste and main yarn together. What end do you pull on to undo the waste yarn part without undoing the main yarn stitches?

Thanks!

Worried in WV

Mornnen

Knitting takes balls!... of yarn...
mornnen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Since I generally use the Knitting at Knoon pco, I can only answer for that.
1) No, the stitches do not twist for me.
2) When using the Knitting at Knoon "version" you tug (pull)/unzip the waste yarn a few stitches at a time that way you don't lose or drop the now live stitches, before placing them back on the freed needle.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
mornnen
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Mystery_Gyrl View Post
Since I generally use the Knitting at Knoon pco, I can only answer for that.
1) No, the stitches do not twist for me.
2) When using the Knitting at Knoon "version" you tug (pull)/unzip the waste yarn a few stitches at a time that way you don't lose or drop the now live stitches, before placing them back on the freed needle.

That's a great video of that provisional cast on--thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Teeka
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by mornnen View Post
Hi Everybody--

I am getting ready to knit the harry potter scarf from atypically knit, and I have a question about the provisional cast on (I checked the thread below and it isn't answered in that one). Let's pretend that I succeed at Amy's version of it, or someone else's -- one that involves waste yarn and not a cable needle. Here are my questions
1) is it only for the 'using a cable needle' version that you have to worry about twisted stitches
2) when I am ready, how do it take out the waste yarn? In Amy's video it shows knotting the waste and main yarn together. What end do you pull on to undo the waste yarn part without undoing the main yarn stitches?

Thanks!

Worried in WV

Mornnen
If you use Amy's and it works, please let me know! I can't figure it out, even though it looks super simple.

Sell your clothes; keep your thoughts.
--Henry David Thoreau

Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
five_six
Turning the Heel

I have tried Amy's method heaps of times, and I've never got more than a twisted mess either. Maybe we can convince her to redo it for us

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
mornnen
1st Leg of the Journey

Key to Amy's Provisional Cast on: I figured it out!
I have figured it out. The video does show it (the key) but it isn't emphasized.

Here's what needs to happen for it to work. You follow Amy's directions and hold the yarn like she does. And you listen to her mantra "in front, behind, behind." HOWEVER before you go to the next "in front, behind, behind" to cast on the next stitch, you need to bring the waste yarn (which appears orange in her video) back behind the needle that you are casting on to, moving from front to back, under the needle. Does this make sense? Or think of it this way-- when you go behind the waste yarn with your needle, you are bringing it to the front, and after you've gone behind both the waste and main yarn, you need to get that waste yarn back in position/place where it started.

After getting the cast on to work, I watched the video again, and she is returning the waste yarn back behind the needle. But I think that in the video, Amy is holding the main and waste yarn in her left hand in such as way that the return of the waste yarn back behind the needle happens almost automatically.

I hope this helps!

Mornnen

Mornnen

The Following User Says Thank You to mornnen For This Useful Post:
Mystery_Gyrl (06-09-2007)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
five_six
Turning the Heel

Hmmm... I'm gonna give it another shot then when I get the time, cause it certainly looks less fiddly that the crochet hook method - once you get it to work that is

Congrats on the success!

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the tip Mornnen. The next time I need to use the pco, I'll give it one more shot.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote