Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
mrsmiz
Casting On

Backyard leaves help?
I wsa wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a technical problem I am having with the Backyard Leaves pattern ? I am not sure hwo to "k1 , p1 in the same stitch on the rs and ws" can someone helP??

heather
mrsmiz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

One of my favorite books and a very, very favorite scarf!
I was confused with this direction, too, when I 1st knit the scarf, this was my 1st charted pattern. You will learn that Annie Modesitt (the designer) is a genius! This is an increase st. you do just as it says, you see, you are purling before you come to this increase, and knitting after it, this increase allows you to not interupt the flow of purl and knit sts. Since you are purling as you come to the increase st your yarn is in the front of the needles, purl into the next st, but do NOT remove it, then position the yarn behind the needles to ready for the knit st. and knit into the same stitch that you purled into and then remove the 2 sts, you have a purl increase by the purl sts you have been knitting and a knit increase in front of the knit sts you are about to knit.
I'm not very good at explaining unless I do so face to face, so please forgive me if I've confused you, I'm sure someone more experienced will come along with more help if you didn't understand me (lol, I'm a hand talker, I have to show you what i'm doing rather than just type it!).
You will have fun with this scarf and it is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Isn't it a pretty pattern? Do persist with it totally worth it! Check out the video here for knitting into the front and back of same stitch, this will kind of give you the idea (although it's not the same). It's 'k1, p1 into same stitch', and you do this when you come to that symbol whether you are on the rs or ws, not do both on both sides.
Knit into the front stitch by pulling a new loop through the usual way and creating the new knit stitch on the right needle but don't drop the old stitch off the left needle. Put the tip of the right needle through the front of the same stitch purlwise and purl a stitch the usual way including dropping the old stitch off the left needle. Voila!

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
mrsmiz
Casting On

Ok, yes, i am in love with the scarf...I think it is so beautiful and I love seeign what other's have done with it.

So, I thought it would be only a one st increase (k1, p1 in teh same stitch-allows for 1 st increase), but the chart shows a 3 st increase (for row 4-or 3-whichever row is after the first increase of this kind) and I am having trouble accounting for the extra 2 increases if I only k1, p1 in the same st -one time. does that make sense?

I am so frazzled on figuring this out that I had a dream that I made up my own way of doing this stitch! isn't that funny?
mrsmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Okay, here's what I bet you did, when doing the slip st edging on this row, you accidentally created a yarn over. The slip st edging ( a marvel, I must say) goes like this:
first and last 3 sts on RS: k1, slip st (pw) with yarn in front, put yarn back in position to knit and knit the 3rd st. If you don't put the yarn back in position you accidentally create a yarn over.
Then, first and last 3 sts on WS: slip st with yarn in front, put yarn back in position to knit and knit the 2nd st, and for 3rd st. you slip the st with yarn in front and position the yarn for the next st whether knit or purl. Be very careful that you are rearranging the yarn on the edges or yo will very easily get yarn overs. BUT, once you get in the swing it's very easy.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Miz, I think your actual problem is that in row 3, if we forget about the caston 5 stitches on the left side of chart (the 5 + signs), the row is 3 stitches wider, right? On the right-hand side of the chart?

See those two Os in the chart - big circles? Those are yarn overs, which create one more new stitch.

So on row 3 there are 5 more stitches on the left - from casting on 5. And there are 3 more stitches on the right: 2 of those come from the yarnovers (yos), the last 1 comes from the k1,p1 in same stitch = 3 total on the right.

Just do it as charted and you will get the right number!
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote