Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
bip
Turning the Heel

Slip 2 tog tbl
I started this last night: http://www.canknit.com/free/ns.html

This instruction seems to be causing me a problem:
Slip 2 tog tbl as if to purl, p1, pass 2 slipped sts over

I understand that the instructions create a ridge diagonally across the square. The knit decreases look fine (I think), but the purl-side decreases look wonky. There is kind of a space between the ridge made by the knit side and purl side decreases. It almost looks like a yo, but I know there is no yo.

For the Slip2 tog tbl as if to purl, I hold the yarn in front, put my right needle behind my work parallel to the left hand needle and facing the same direction, slip 2 sts at the same time onto the right needle (which kind of twists them), then I purl the next sts. Then I pass the 2 sts that I previously slipped (keeping them together as 1 sts) over the purled st (like binding off that one purled sts with the 2 slipped sts).

Maybe the holes are supposed to be there? Or maybe I am not holding my yarn tight enough at some point? Or maybe I am doing the sl2 tog tbl totally wrong?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
bip is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It sounds like you're doing it correctly.

If you don't like the look of it, I think it would work fine if you slipped two together as if to purl (not tbl) and you'll get a nice decrease.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
bip (06-08-2007)
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
bip
Turning the Heel

Hummm...I think the reason they are having me do the tbl is so that it looks right from the knit side. I am only about 15 rows in, so maybe when the piece is bigger it'll look more natural? Or maybe it will straighten out with blocking. Maybe I will block this first piece before I do the rest just to see... Or maybe I am just imagining that it looks funny and I just need to chill out and knit

Thanks for your help
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, it's to match the dbl dec on the knit side. The only way I've been able to get this type of p2tog tbl was to slip the stitches to the R needle and fiddle around with it until it looked right. After the first couple you'll be able to see how they should like to make them without all the fiddling.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote