Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
MaleKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Question on Shaping the Neck of a sweater
I am very confused, I cant find this anywhere on google or on knittinghelp or even the many "learn to knit" books that i have. I want to make a pullover for my stepmother, but i do not know how to shape the neck when the pattern says "knit 21 stitches, drop yarn, slip next 13 stitches onto stitch holder, JOIN NEW YARN, knit 21 stitches"
WHERE exactly do I join the new yarn? I know that i could just knit the yarn without joining it, and then and weaving the end in (and if i dont get any answers then i will do just that)
Is there a good place to join the yarn though? do i tie a knot on a stitch somewhere or something? Im a little confused. How do other people join the new yarn when you shape the neck?
MaleKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
WHERE exactly do I join the new yarn? I know that i could just knit the yarn without joining it, and then and weaving the end in (and if i dont get any answers then i will do just that)
That's exactly what you're supposed to do. Knit the first set of stitches, place the next set on a holder. Then take a new yarn end and begin knitting with it, leaving about 6" of tail. It won't pull out, though it may be a little loose for a coupla rows. After you're done with the whole sweater (sounds like you'll be picking up sts for a neckband) you can weave in the tail and cut it; you don't need to weave it for 6".

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
MaleKnitter (07-02-2007)
Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
I think the "join" the refer to is just like you said, just start knitting at the part after the stitches on hold, then weave in the end later. I wouldn't put a knot in it, if the stitch is loose, just go with it for now and you can tighten it up by pulling on the tail. Just make sure to leave a long enough tail so your knitting doesn't come unraveled.

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JGM For This Useful Post:
MaleKnitter (07-02-2007)