Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 AM   #1
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Tip on where to put stitches when grafting/repairing/seaming
Seeing someone's question about repairing an afghan inspired me to post this:

When you want to join together 2 rows of knitting but don't know exactly where the wool should go, here's a way to figure it out:

Say you are joining together your first row of edging around a shawl etc, after finishing the last row: so if it's a 10-row repeat, you started with row 1 (provisionally cast on), you have knitted all the way around and come back to the same point, ending with a row 9, your grafting should mimic a row 10.

get bigger needles and thicker wool in a visible colour, light is good, and knit rows 5-9. Knit row 10 in another colour, still as thick but a bright colour you can see very easily where the stitches go! Then knit the next row/s (say row 1-3) in the first colour.

You will have the row 10 in a bright contrasting colour, use this as a guide to show you which way the wool in your grafting should go.

Do the same thing for joining stocking, garter, whatever: a small swatch with the row you will graft highlighted in a bright contrasting colour in bigger wool and needles.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
How clever!

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote