Old 01-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Switching to Continental (left hand throw)
okay, after having taught myself to knit from a book as a child, and deeply engraining this way of knitting into my head, I'd now like to learn how to knit properly!

I'd like to learn how to knit by throwing the yarn with my left hand (instead of all that wasted motion throwing over right-handed - it's getting hard on my shoulder.) I seem to be able to knit by throwing over left, but purl is waaaaaaaay harder. And going back and forth between knit and purl is danged near impossible.

What's the secret?

Any video how-to on this topic?
________
Honda T360

Last edited by MoniDew : 02-19-2011 at 05:28 PM.
MoniDew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Check out Amy's videos under "Basic Techniques" and there is a video for both the knit and purl stitch done in Continental and English knitting.

I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way to knit -- ok, there is but I only say that because I twisted my purl stitch for years before someone showed me the error of my ways. I think my mother is still twisting her purl stitch and refuses to change.

I learned to knit Continental but both my kids knit English because they learned at school and the handwork teacher there knits that way. I think it just comes down to the way you are the most comfortable knitting. I know some VERY fast English knitters and some very slow Continental knitters.

The videos are great and will really help.

Good luck,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
sos710mh
Casting On

I did the same thing when I learned to knit. I could already crochet, so it was normal for me to have my yarn in my right hand and throw, but I was adding zillions of extra stitches trying to do ribbing! I just started using Amy's videos for Continental knitting (how to knit, how to purl, ect.) and made myself do it. It actually came alot easier than I thought it would and now I can knit much faster. Good luck!! Hope you find things easy to do!
sos710mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Re: Switching to Continental (left hand throw)
Originally Posted by MoniDew
okay, after having taught myself to knit from a book as a child, and deeply engraining this way of knitting into my head, I'd now like to learn how to knit properly!

I'd like to learn how to knit by throwing the yarn with my left hand (instead of all that wasted motion throwing over right-handed - it's getting hard on my shoulder.) I seem to be able to knit by throwing over left, but purl is waaaaaaaay harder. And going back and forth between knit and purl is danged near impossible.

What's the secret?

Any video how-to on this topic?
Properly? There is no properly, it's what works for you. I used to crochet and held the yarn in my left hand, but couldn't get the hang of purling that way when knitting so I started using the english method and it works just fine. I use both hands when I do fair isle, but find throwing easiest. I don't move my hand enough when "throwing" the yarn to cause any wasted motion. It's all very smooth.

If you want to try continental by all means give it a try, but don't feel you are doing it wrong if you end up preferring english. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
When I switched to continental-style I just could not get the motion down for purling. For some reason it was just awkward and took forever and looked icky. All of which made me sad cuz I'm left-handed and continental knit stitches was so much more comfortable.

Anywho, I checked out that video of the Norwegian purling--and that's how I purl now. It was just so much easier for me motion-wise and I like keeping the yarn in back. I know it looks finicky and like extra movements, but for me it's faster and easier. So give it a try if continental purling feeling ooky to you!

Oh yeah...even now though, my gauge is different purling than knitting. But I don't sweat the small stuff yet, I'm still a beginner and at least the gauge is consistently different, if that makes sense. :
HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Unfortunately, when attempting to view any of the videos, I get a blank green screen. I don't know why. My computer just refuses to show them. I can hear them, I just can't see anything.
________
Sc2 replays

Last edited by MoniDew : 02-19-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

by the way, my appologies for the "properly" - I didn't mean to imply that right handed throwers were doing something wrong. I just meant that my present method wasn't working for me. I apologize. I didn't mean to offend anyone. (I meant it more in the imagery of the British "proper" sense...)
________
Colorado Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by MoniDew : 02-19-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
You may need to update your drivers or download a DivX control or something.
HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
They are reformatting the videos so they should be better for everyone. In the meantime you can also check other how to sites for help.

Maybe this one?
Lion Brand - Learn to knit

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
mrs desert rain
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to mrs desert rain
Originally Posted by MoniDew
Unfortunately, when attempting to view any of the videos, I get a blank green screen. I don't know why. My computer just refuses to show them. I can hear them, I just can't see anything.
i had that problem, too, but clicking on the 'direct link' at the bottom of the pop-up got it to work for me... (perhaps it's a 'mac' thing...)

Free time? What free time?
More socks (Lorna's Laces, Baltic Sea)
Tie-Front Cardigan (p. 71 VOGUE Knitting, Holiday 06)
Rose Cardigan (VOGUE Knitting, Winter 07)

Recent FO's
Wicked Sweater
Socks and socks and socks
Calorimetries Galore
mrs desert rain is offline   Reply With Quote