Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
MrsJSD
Ribbing the Cuff

smelly yarn
I just received 3 skeins of Cherry Tree Hill's North Country Cotton and I was all set to begin a new project when I had to stop casting on after just a few stitches because of the very unpleasant smell coming from this yarn. It actually reminds me of formaldehyde. (I'm a former pathologist, so I'm no stranger to that smell).

I have sent an email to Cherry Tree Hill to ask about it, but I wonder if any of you have insight into this phenomenon. I simply don't want to knit with it as it is. It stinks.

Currently knitting a Weasley sweater in Rowan Felted Tweed for a nephew, the pullover "Erica" in Noro Cash Iroha, and E.Zimm's "Pie are Square" shawl in possum laceweight.
MrsJSD is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

could it be from something they used to set the dye?

maybe airing it out for a day or so would help. or gently rinsing it in something veeeeery mild. or letting it sleep in a paper bag with a fabric softener sheet for a couple days....

I'm sure someone has a better idea...

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

MrsJSD.. Not a nice experience. I am very sensitive to smell and would not be able to work with the yarn either. I totally agree that contacting the company was best and I would snip a bit off and enclose it in a snap lock bag and send to them. I would then wash the rest in a mild wool wash mix. It is either a chemical on the yarn OR something that was perhaps in the storage facility the yarn was held in or the actual packaging. I once had yarn sent to me that had been packed in a type of plastic that really pervaded the yarn but, as you say, you feel you've defined the smell. Could it be a pest control chemical at all? Again I'm wondering about where it may have been stored. I am thinking of a time when I ordered yarn online and wound up waiting several weeks as what I wanted was apparently behind palettes that all had to be moved first and this was in the retailers storage facility and not the yarn company. I would imagine such places are regularly sprayed for pests.

I guess the only thing about washing the yarn is that once you do the company may not exchange it (if that's what you'd prefer).
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
whiskers
Casting On

wow that has never happened to me! good luck
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Momto G B and H
1st Leg of the Journey

I got some from Katsara Yarns that just smelled AWFUL. I noticed that inside the package they had added a little sachet of potpourri. I guess that's why!
Anyway, when I wound it up the smell seemed to go away.
Cee-Cee 4
Ravelry ID--MomtoGBandH
My blog--Put that on your needles and knit it!!
Momto G B and H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Momto G B and H... I dislike pot pourri that has really really cheap scent added to it. Pot pourri should vibrate with natural smells! I was handed down a wonderful old jar of pot pourri from my mother and made one of my own that is lovely. But on a third I made the mistake of throwing some cheap commercial pot pourri I had been given in with all my leaves and flowers. I wound up needing to throw it out. Terrible smell in the end!
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Yarn Doc
Knitting the Flap

Could the smell be from an anti-moth/bug repellant they would use during storage? Would unwinding the skeins and hanging them outside for awhile air them out? Although formalin is tough to beat - like cadaverin or whatever that's called. And hanging them outside might be begging for a different kind of trouble - squirrels and stuff.

OT: I'm a pathologist too! Well, a resident, at Northwestern. I'm almost done, and then I'm planning on doing heme. So I know all too well about the smelly stuff!

Originally Posted by MrsJSD View Post
I just received 3 skeins of Cherry Tree Hill's North Country Cotton and I was all set to begin a new project when I had to stop casting on after just a few stitches because of the very unpleasant smell coming from this yarn. It actually reminds me of formaldehyde. (I'm a former pathologist, so I'm no stranger to that smell).

I have sent an email to Cherry Tree Hill to ask about it, but I wonder if any of you have insight into this phenomenon. I simply don't want to knit with it as it is. It stinks.
Yarn Doc is offline   Reply With Quote