Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

can I use my sewing machine
I am just about to finish up a sweater with set in sleeves and a separate collar. This is mde with Elann Sonata (cotton yarn) and knitted fairly loose. Has anybody had any success with sewing pieces together on a sewing machine?
Ellieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ellieblue For This Useful Post:
dakatzmeow (06-13-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,955 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
I sewed a hood seam by machine and inserted a zipper by machine, after careful basting. Side seams and set-in sleeves, though, would look better by hand. I know it takes longer, but you'll be happier with the results. And after all that knitting, you want it to look AWESOME! Follow the seaming instructions her on KH. The videos are really clear.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

i've wondered the same thing. my conclusion was that i would want the shoulder, sleeve and side seams to be stretchy and i don't think i could achieve that with the machine. now the hood and zipper......you wouldn't want the zipper seam to stretch b/c it would get wavy. blech.
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
knitasha
Turning the Heel

If your machine has a stretch stitch, you can use it for seaming, and some experienced knitters do.

But it's likely to give you bulky, obvious seams (especially on the sleeves) and a factory-made look, while doing the seams by hand gives you far more control over their tension, a less visible seam and a better drape.

Don't take anyone's word for it, though.
Try machine stitching a swatch. Pin or baste carefully first, use the stretch stitch and loose tension and see how you like the results. If you don't like the look or feel of the machine stitched seam, hand stitching is the way to go, and once you get the hang of it, I think it's just as easy and almost as fast.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

Thank you all for your advice. I usually hand sew(mattress st) all my pieces but I thought that since cotton is so stretchy I might try to sew with a stretch stitch especially the shawl collar which is tapered to fit up the front and around the neck and down the other side. The sweater is Wren by berroco .
Ellieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Having done it decades ago, when I didn't know better, I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you want to give it a try, make sure to enclose your knitted pieces in something like sturdy tissue paper given the fibers could snag on the presser feet and/or feed dogs. I'm not familiar with serger options so perhaps something it has something that's specific to working with larger gauged knits. Just don't think you're going to get a small enough 'seam' if you go for the machine option.

Just my .02.

cam
Ellieblue (06-13-2007)
Old 06-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
knitnsoap
Casting On

The only thing I have my friend sew up on the sewing machine are baby sweaters and small size kids clothing. Nothing too bulky. She is a seamstress by trade and really knows what she is doing. I never have bulk and the garments come out great and saves a ton of time.
knitnsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitnsoap For This Useful Post:
Ellieblue (06-13-2007)